Wine release 1.2
The Wine team is proud to announce that the stable release Wine 1.2 is
This release represents two years of development effort and over
It also contains a lot of improvements across the board, and over
The source is available from the following locations:
Binary packages for various distributions will be available from:
You will find documentation on http://www.winehq.org/documentation
You can also get the current source directly from the git
Wine is available thanks to the work of many people. See the file
What’s new in Wine 1.2
*** Core functionality
- Loading and running 64-bit Windows applications is now supported on
- There are now two flavors of Wine prefixes, 32-bit and
- WoW64 file system redirection is supported now. When running a
- WoW64 registry redirection is now supported in 64-bit prefixes. This
- All the 16-bit support code has been moved to a set of independent
- The mount manager now reports the actual UUID for disk devices that
- Symbolic links are now supported in the registry.
- The C runtime libraries msvcr80, msvcr90 and msvcr100 used by recent
- Some functions now use a Microsoft-compatible function prologue when
*** User interface
- There are new icons for all the built-in applications, as well as
- Animated cursors can now be loaded, though only the first frame of
- The mouse cursor is now updated correctly in applications that
- The standard print and page setup dialogs are working much better
- There is now an application wizard control panel to manage installed
- Rendering of bi-directional text is now supported reasonably
- Many features of the RichEdit control are improved, particularly
- Many common controls work better now, particularly the listview,
- There is now a partial implementation of the Microsoft Text Services
- There is now a proper user interface for importing, exporting and
- Wine is now fully translated to French, German, Dutch, Italian,
*** Desktop integration
- The XDG standard for application startup notification is now
- The NET_WORKAREA property is now supported to let applications take
- File associations created by a Windows applications are now
- Application icons are now set with the NET_WM_ICON hint, which
- Maximizing a window from the Unix window manager is now detected and
- The XDG desktop screen saver is now launched when a Windows
- Start Menu entries are now properly removed when an application is
- Copying and pasting images between Windows and Unix applications
- Launching an external Unix Web browser from a Windows application
- MSI files are now associated with Wine to enable launching them
- The virtual desktop window now switches to full-screen mode when its
- The strange window management behavior used by Delphi-generated
- Subpixel font rendering is now supported, which greatly improves
- Icons with alpha channels are now properly blended in, for a much
- Image lists now properly store the alpha channel of images and use
- The windowscodecs dll has been added, with codecs for the JPEG, GIF,
- Many functions are now implemented in GDIPlus. The gdiplus dll is
- Overlays are now supported in DirectDraw.
- Many more capabilities are now supported in the SANE scanner
- The openal32 dll is now implemented, as a wrapper around the Unix
- There is now an initial implementation of the mmdevapi dll (part of
- The msgsm32.acm GSM codec is now supported.
- The ALSA sound driver now works better with PulseAudio’s ALSA
- Digital playback of audio CDs is now supported.
*** Internet and networking
- The HTTP protocol implementation has seen many improvements, in
- The Gecko HTML engine has been updated to a more recent upstream
- The RPC layer now properly supports server-side authentication and
- There is now an essentially complete implementation of the
- The IRDA network protocol is now supported by the socket layer.
- The inetmib1 dll is now implemented, with support for the standard
- The inetcomm dll now implements the POP3 and SMTP protocols, as well
- Extended mail providers are now better supported, particularly the
- Many undocumented functions in the shlwapi dll have been implemented
- FBOs are now used by default for off-screen rendering in Direct3D.
- Backbuffers larger/smaller than their associated window are now
- A large portion of the d3dx9 dlls is now implemented, most notably
- Fog handling has improved a lot.
- Various YUV texture formats are now supported.
- wined3d contexts are now managed per-thread, and play nice both with
- Point sprite handling has improved a lot.
- The shader source is now dumped on GLSL compile/link failures. This
- The graphics card detection code is improved, and many more graphics
- User clip planes are now supported in shaders. This allows proper
- There is now an initial implementation of Direct3D 10, including the
- Shadow samplers are now properly supported. This fixes shadows in
- There is now a shader based implementation of D3D fixed function
- Partial updates of surfaces with compressed formats are now properly
- Many new OpenGL extensions are now supported. These include:
– EXT_provoking_vertex/ARB_provoking_vertex. This allows the
– EXT_vertex_array_bgra/ARB_vertex_array_bgra. This allows for more
– EXT_draw_buffers2. This enables independent color write masks
– Various nVidia extensions to ARB vertex/fragment programs. These
– EXT_texture_compression_rgtc. This adds support for the ATI2N
– ARB_texture_rg. This allows for more efficient support of the
– ARB_framebuffer_object. This is mostly the same as the existing
– ARB_sync. This adds support for multi-threaded / cross GL context
– ARB_half_float_vertex. This adds support for 16-bit floating
- There is now a general framework for supporting variations/quirks in
*** Built-in applications
- The Wine debugger now displays a crash dialog to let the user know
- The Wine debugger now uses the Dwarf exception unwinding data for
- The file dialogs in built-in applications are now resizable.
- Regedit can now import from and export to files in Unicode format.
- Wineboot now displays a dialog while creating or updating the prefix
- Text replacement is now implemented in Notepad.
- The print preview feature in Wordpad now works much better.
- Navigation in help files now works better in Winhelp. Many graphical
- The Winecfg dialogs have been tweaked so that the application is
- The command-line parser in cmd.exe is more compatible now, which
- Rpcss now implements a proper RPC endpoint mapper.
*** Build environment
- The Wine IDL compiler can now generate correct code for all the
- The fake dll placeholders are now built at compile time, instead of
- configure now supports the –disable-tests option to prevent
- The cross-compiled tests are now built against the Wine import
- winegcc now handles resource files just like normal object files and
- winebuild and winegcc now fully support Solaris.
- Wine now builds properly on Cygwin, though some of the resulting
- Makefiles are now created as needed during the build process,
- winemaker now has better support for Visual C++ project files.
- The OLE storage implementation now supports transacted storage, with
- The MSI installer now supports patches, which enables the
- The rsaenh dll now supports the SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512
- OLE database objects are now implemented, which fixes the clipart
- Copying and pasting OLE objects across applications works better now.
- Support for cryptographic signatures and certificates is improved,
- The Task Scheduler service is now implemented.
- Bitmap stretching and alpha blending is now done through Xrender
- Startup time for MSI installers that contain a large amount of
- Setting the processor affinity for threads or processes is now
- Loading large symbol tables in the Wine debugger is much faster
- FBO handling has improved significantly. Recently used FBO
- Loading shader constants is more efficient now. This improves
- The performance of sRGB samples is improved, this particularly helps
*** Platform-specific changes
- Joysticks POV switch and axis remapping are now better supported on
- The various DVD I/O controls are now implemented on Mac OS X.
- The network routing and statistics functions in iphlpapi are now
- Mach-O debugging symbols (the format used by Mac OS X) are now
- Event ports are now used on Solaris for improved wineserver
*** New library dependencies
- The libgnutls library is now used for encryption and certificate
- The libgsm library is now used for the GSM codec support.
- The libmpg123 library is now used for mp3 decoding (except on Mac OS
- The libopenal library is now used for the openal32 dll
- The libtiff library is now used for TIFF image decoding in the
- The libv4l1 library is now used for video capture in DirectShow.
*** Backwards compatibility
- The wineshelllink helper script has been removed. All the menu and
- The deprecated wineprefixcreate script has been removed. Wine prefix
- Old LinuxThreads setups are no longer supported. Wine now requires
- The PBuffer option for off-screen rendering has been removed from
*** Known issues with recent 1.2 changes
- The subpixel font rendering doesn’t yet look quite as nice as that
- The OLE storage performance can degrade pretty badly on files with a
- There is no 64-bit version of the Gecko engine yet, so 64-bit
Comments are closed.