Wine release 1.2
The Wine team is proud to announce that the stable release Wine 1.2 is
This release represents two years of development effort and over
It also contains a lot of improvements across the board, and over
The source is available from the following locations:
Binary packages for various distributions will be available from:
You will find documentation on http://www.winehq.org/documentation
You can also get the current source directly from the git
Wine is available thanks to the work of many people. See the file
What’s new in Wine 1.2
*** Core functionality
– Loading and running 64-bit Windows applications is now supported on
– There are now two flavors of Wine prefixes, 32-bit and
– WoW64 file system redirection is supported now. When running a
– WoW64 registry redirection is now supported in 64-bit prefixes. This
– All the 16-bit support code has been moved to a set of independent
– The mount manager now reports the actual UUID for disk devices that
– Symbolic links are now supported in the registry.
– The C runtime libraries msvcr80, msvcr90 and msvcr100 used by recent
– Some functions now use a Microsoft-compatible function prologue when
*** User interface
– There are new icons for all the built-in applications, as well as
– Animated cursors can now be loaded, though only the first frame of
– The mouse cursor is now updated correctly in applications that
– The standard print and page setup dialogs are working much better
– There is now an application wizard control panel to manage installed
– Rendering of bi-directional text is now supported reasonably
– Many features of the RichEdit control are improved, particularly
– Many common controls work better now, particularly the listview,
– There is now a partial implementation of the Microsoft Text Services
– There is now a proper user interface for importing, exporting and
– Wine is now fully translated to French, German, Dutch, Italian,
*** Desktop integration
– The XDG standard for application startup notification is now
– The NET_WORKAREA property is now supported to let applications take
– File associations created by a Windows applications are now
– Application icons are now set with the NET_WM_ICON hint, which
– Maximizing a window from the Unix window manager is now detected and
– The XDG desktop screen saver is now launched when a Windows
– Start Menu entries are now properly removed when an application is
– Copying and pasting images between Windows and Unix applications
– Launching an external Unix Web browser from a Windows application
– MSI files are now associated with Wine to enable launching them
– The virtual desktop window now switches to full-screen mode when its
– The strange window management behavior used by Delphi-generated
– Subpixel font rendering is now supported, which greatly improves
– Icons with alpha channels are now properly blended in, for a much
– Image lists now properly store the alpha channel of images and use
– The windowscodecs dll has been added, with codecs for the JPEG, GIF,
– Many functions are now implemented in GDIPlus. The gdiplus dll is
– Overlays are now supported in DirectDraw.
– Many more capabilities are now supported in the SANE scanner
– The openal32 dll is now implemented, as a wrapper around the Unix
– There is now an initial implementation of the mmdevapi dll (part of
– The msgsm32.acm GSM codec is now supported.
– The ALSA sound driver now works better with PulseAudio’s ALSA
– Digital playback of audio CDs is now supported.
*** Internet and networking
– The HTTP protocol implementation has seen many improvements, in
– The Gecko HTML engine has been updated to a more recent upstream
– The RPC layer now properly supports server-side authentication and
– There is now an essentially complete implementation of the
– The IRDA network protocol is now supported by the socket layer.
– The inetmib1 dll is now implemented, with support for the standard
– The inetcomm dll now implements the POP3 and SMTP protocols, as well
– Extended mail providers are now better supported, particularly the
– Many undocumented functions in the shlwapi dll have been implemented
– FBOs are now used by default for off-screen rendering in Direct3D.
– Backbuffers larger/smaller than their associated window are now
– A large portion of the d3dx9 dlls is now implemented, most notably
– Fog handling has improved a lot.
– Various YUV texture formats are now supported.
– wined3d contexts are now managed per-thread, and play nice both with
– Point sprite handling has improved a lot.
– The shader source is now dumped on GLSL compile/link failures. This
– The graphics card detection code is improved, and many more graphics
– User clip planes are now supported in shaders. This allows proper
– There is now an initial implementation of Direct3D 10, including the
– Shadow samplers are now properly supported. This fixes shadows in
– There is now a shader based implementation of D3D fixed function
– Partial updates of surfaces with compressed formats are now properly
– Many new OpenGL extensions are now supported. These include:
– EXT_provoking_vertex/ARB_provoking_vertex. This allows the
– EXT_vertex_array_bgra/ARB_vertex_array_bgra. This allows for more
– EXT_draw_buffers2. This enables independent color write masks
– Various nVidia extensions to ARB vertex/fragment programs. These
– EXT_texture_compression_rgtc. This adds support for the ATI2N
– ARB_texture_rg. This allows for more efficient support of the
– ARB_framebuffer_object. This is mostly the same as the existing
– ARB_sync. This adds support for multi-threaded / cross GL context
– ARB_half_float_vertex. This adds support for 16-bit floating
– There is now a general framework for supporting variations/quirks in
*** Built-in applications
– The Wine debugger now displays a crash dialog to let the user know
– The Wine debugger now uses the Dwarf exception unwinding data for
– The file dialogs in built-in applications are now resizable.
– Regedit can now import from and export to files in Unicode format.
– Wineboot now displays a dialog while creating or updating the prefix
– Text replacement is now implemented in Notepad.
– The print preview feature in Wordpad now works much better.
– Navigation in help files now works better in Winhelp. Many graphical
– The Winecfg dialogs have been tweaked so that the application is
– The command-line parser in cmd.exe is more compatible now, which
– Rpcss now implements a proper RPC endpoint mapper.
*** Build environment
– The Wine IDL compiler can now generate correct code for all the
– The fake dll placeholders are now built at compile time, instead of
– configure now supports the –disable-tests option to prevent
– The cross-compiled tests are now built against the Wine import
– winegcc now handles resource files just like normal object files and
– winebuild and winegcc now fully support Solaris.
– Wine now builds properly on Cygwin, though some of the resulting
– Makefiles are now created as needed during the build process,
– winemaker now has better support for Visual C++ project files.
– The OLE storage implementation now supports transacted storage, with
– The MSI installer now supports patches, which enables the
– The rsaenh dll now supports the SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512
– OLE database objects are now implemented, which fixes the clipart
– Copying and pasting OLE objects across applications works better now.
– Support for cryptographic signatures and certificates is improved,
– The Task Scheduler service is now implemented.
– Bitmap stretching and alpha blending is now done through Xrender
– Startup time for MSI installers that contain a large amount of
– Setting the processor affinity for threads or processes is now
– Loading large symbol tables in the Wine debugger is much faster
– FBO handling has improved significantly. Recently used FBO
– Loading shader constants is more efficient now. This improves
– The performance of sRGB samples is improved, this particularly helps
*** Platform-specific changes
– Joysticks POV switch and axis remapping are now better supported on
– The various DVD I/O controls are now implemented on Mac OS X.
– The network routing and statistics functions in iphlpapi are now
– Mach-O debugging symbols (the format used by Mac OS X) are now
– Event ports are now used on Solaris for improved wineserver
*** New library dependencies
– The libgnutls library is now used for encryption and certificate
– The libgsm library is now used for the GSM codec support.
– The libmpg123 library is now used for mp3 decoding (except on Mac OS
– The libopenal library is now used for the openal32 dll
– The libtiff library is now used for TIFF image decoding in the
– The libv4l1 library is now used for video capture in DirectShow.
*** Backwards compatibility
– The wineshelllink helper script has been removed. All the menu and
– The deprecated wineprefixcreate script has been removed. Wine prefix
– Old LinuxThreads setups are no longer supported. Wine now requires
– The PBuffer option for off-screen rendering has been removed from
*** Known issues with recent 1.2 changes
– The subpixel font rendering doesn’t yet look quite as nice as that
– The OLE storage performance can degrade pretty badly on files with a
– There is no 64-bit version of the Gecko engine yet, so 64-bit
Comments are closed.