GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting – June 29, 2012

Wiki: https://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20120629

= Minutes for Meeting of June 29, 2012 =

== Next Meeting ==

 July 13, 2012

== Attending ==

 * Bastien Nocera
 * Brian Cameron
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Germán Póo-Caamaño
 * Karen Sandler
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Ryan Lortie
 * Shaun !McCance
 * Stormy Peters
 * Seif Lotfy
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Andreas Nilsson

=== Regrets ===

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Welcome to new and returning board members:
   * Andreas Nilsson
   * Joanmarie Diggs
   * Tobias Mueller
   * Seif Lotfy

 * Roles & Responsibilites
   * https://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard
   * Roles are usually decided at the face to face meeting at GUADEC
   * Current roles: president (Brian), vice-president (Bastien),
secretary (Emmanuele), treasurer (Shaun)
   * The only non-returning director is Brian
   * Next board meeting before GUADEC will have the new board members
with voting power
   * During the previous meeting was decided to keep the current board
members in their roles until GUADEC

 * Introduce board members to board process

 * Advisory Board
   * There has only been 1 Advisory Board meeting in 2012, and 3
meetings in 2011.  Fewest number of meetings since 2005.
   * Very hard to get all the AB members at the same time for a meeting
   * There is no confirmed attendance for AB members at GUADEC

 * Annual Report
   * We have well passed the Annual Report deadline.
   * At the last meeting it seemed everything was pretty much done.
   * Next steps?
   * Still hunting for some content, but low priority
   * Design needs to be finalized
     * '''ACTION''': Karen to finalize the design of the report with Andreas
   * Would be good to have a small number of printed copies in time
for the Advisory Board meeting

 * Events
   * Desktop Summit
     * Announced bidding process for GUADEC 2013.
     * Seems there is some interest in planning some smaller joint
activities like perhaps a cross-project FreeDesktop Desktop Roundtable
Hackfest, to suggest a name.
     * It has been suggested to set up a joint committee for further
discussion. Need to discuss with FreeDesktop community.
     * Announced on Planet GNOME and gnome.org
     * Needs to be sent to foundation-announce and foundation-list
   * GUADEC 2012
     * Board meeting on July 24th.
     * Advisory Board meeting on July 25th.
     * Materials for the AGM
       * GUADEC is a bit hectic for everyone
       * Materials for the AGM are prepared at GUADEC, but it would be
better to have them ready or nearly ready beforehand
   * Boston/Montréal Summit 2012
     * Seems there is interest in doing a Boston Summit and
alternating locations going forward.
     * Time is becoming a factor.  Attendees will have a harder time
planning travel the longer it takes to plan.
     * https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2012-April/msg00023.html
     * Colin Walters sent a proposal to foundation-list for his
availability for organizing the summit in Boston
     * Montréal has become problematic because of the students protests
     * '''ACTION''': Karen to contact Colin to announce the Summit
   * GNOME.Asia
     * The event seemed a great success.
     * GNOME.Asia was not profitable after paying travel subsidy expenses.
     * The GNOME.Asia organizers will likely need help starting the
2013 bidding process.
     * Given that Brian is stepping down from the Board, we'll need a
new contact between GNOME.Asia and the Board
   * Hackfests
     * https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests
     * Docs Hackfest < at > OpenHelp, Cincinnati, OH, USA, August 13 - 15.
       * https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/OpenHelp2012
       * Seeking funding of $7100.
       * Germán, Brian, Stormy, Bastien, Emmanuele gave a +1.
       * Declined to vote (conflict of interest): Ryan
     * Usability Hackfest < at > A Coruña, July 24 - 25.
       * https://live.gnome.org/Hackfests/UXACoruna2012
     * Not so many hackfests planned for 2012.
       * Ideas for hackfests:
         * Wayland Hackfest
         * Desktop Roundtable Hackfest organized with FreeDesktop.
         * Marketing Hackfest
           * A marketing hackfest is long overdue and Karen would
benefit from face-to-face time with marketing leaders.
       * Should the Board be more proactive in proposing hackfests to the teams?

 * Trademark
   * Karen is working with the SFLC to renew the old GNOME trademarks.
   * The fee is low, but there are arguments pro and con on renewal
     * Old logo is not used any more by GNOME
   * Artwork for Evolution
     * Currently, Evolution does not have any trademark, copyright or
licensing information for its logo
     * Karen is trying to fix the issue

 * Programs
   * Accessibility project
     * How to invest a11y funds from Mozilla and the FoG campaign.

   * Women's Outreach Program
     * Outreach yearbook funding
     * The board needs some concrete cost projection/proposal

   * Friends of GNOME (FoG) a11y Campaign
     * What will the next campaign be?
       * Announcement at GUADEC, if possible?
     * Update
     *      Current: $18,245 -  $1,755 to go!
     *  2 weeks ago: $17,422 -  $2,578 to do!
     *  4 weeks ago: $16,161 -  $3,839 to go!
     *  6 weeks ago: $15,893 -  $4,107 to go!
     *  8 weeks ago: $15,297 -  $4,803 to go!
     * 10 weeks ago: $14,605 -  $5,395 to go!
     * 12 weeks ago: $12,760 -  $7,240 to go!
     * 14 weeks ago: $10,631 -  $9,369 to go!
     * 16 weeks ago: $ 9,019 - $10,810 to go!
     * 18 weeks ago: $ 6,700 - $13,300 to go!

   * Google Summer of Code

 * Proposal: switch to video conferencing for board meetings
   * Needs a free software solution
   * Also allow audio-only
   * Discussion to be moved to the mailing list

 * FoG:
   * There were people not having received their benefits for their
donation to GNOME
   * That is very unfortunate and we are very sorry for that
   * The process is all manual, very tedious and error prone; we
should try to automate as much as possible
   * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele will audit the current donors and check
that everybody received their benefits
   * '''ACTION''': Karen to continue following up with CiviCRM contractors

== Completed Actions ==
 * Karen - To follow up with EFF to find contractor for updating and
improving CiviCRM set up.
 * Karen - To send KDE board the draft for the joint release announcement.
 * Karen - Will follow up with CiviCRM contract.
   * After some tracking down of the status of the communications,
cedwards sent email to get discussions with Claudian moving again.,
now following up with EFF to see if they can help.

== Status of action items ==

 * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
 * Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if
they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
 * Bastien - To update call numbers for new locations.
 * Bastien - To contact the gUPnP maintainers about the project web domain.
 * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
   * This has been done.  Will close once the Foundation website is
updated, refer to bug #644932.
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644932
 * Brian - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the
archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.  Taken
over from Jorge.
 * Brian - Will take over organizing the GNOME Foundation IRC meetings.
 * Emmanuele - To gather names and information for a Wayland hackfest.
 * Emmanuele - Will set up a wiki page for the Wayland Hackfest.
 * Germán - Will continue the discussion with Frédéric about the
Gitorious instance on gnome.org. Touched based with Frédéric on Sep
30, we will elaborate more on his proposal once he has more time.
 * Germán - To inform the local GUADEC 2010 organization the decision
to make final payment to cover remaining costs.  Touched based with
Reinount and Vincent.  There was a misunderstanding with respect to
Koen & Sanne working hours, we need to discuss it again.  Everything
is fine.
 * Germán - To let Julita know that the expense for the GNOME 3.4
party in Peru has been approved.
 * Germán - To email membership committee to raise the concern that
emails coming from the Membership Committee are being sent by a
candidate.
 * Germán - Let GSoC admins know the results.
 * German and Karen - To contact Google (Cat Allman and Carol ?) about
sponsorship of GSoC students with SoC budget.
 * Karen - Will follow up with !LojaGeek.
   * Emailed, so far no response, Isabel offered to help.
 * Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
 * Karen - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
 * Karen - To contact GIMP, GStreamer, and !PiTiVi to outline the
board's thoughts about earmarked fund raising.
 * Karen - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to
sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.  Transferred from Brian.
 * Karen - To continue working with Justin about renewing the old trademarks.
 * Karen - Will put together a proposal on how we should update the
bylaws to improve voting.
 * Karen - Will reach out to Mozilla to find advice about negotiating
partnerships.
 * Karen - To follow up with accountant about classifications.
 * Karen - To talk to a11y team for the end of the FoG campaign.
 * Karen and Tobias - To draft a proposal for an update of the by-laws
at the AGM.
 * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering !PayPal information into !GnuCash.
 * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
 * Rosanna - To pay Baptiste Mille-Mathias for the stickers to bring
at FOSDEM. - DONE
 * Shaun - Will post the January 18th, 2012 IRC meeting minutes.
 * Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a
list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
 * Shaun - To help out extracting the GNOME respondents of Describe
FoundationBoard/Minutes/20111115 here.the Desktop Summit survey.
 * Shaun - To contact the previous editors of the Annual Report to
gather a better picture of how to move forward.
 * Shaun - To coordinate with Germán to write a report for the
Financials section of the Annual Report.
 * Shaun - To start a discussion with Andrea about the Emeritus status.
 * Shaun - To finish the Financial section of the Annual Report before
the end of the week (week 20).
 * Shaun - To review the Desktop Summit draft before the end of the
week (week 20).
 * Shaun, Germán and Karen - Will work on submitting the financial report.
 * Shaun & Karen - To have a run-through over budget items.
 * Shaun & Karen - To review the Financial section of the Annual Report.
 * Stormy - will send an email to GWOP interns to attend the Grace
Hopper Conference.
 * Stormy - Take care of !GnuCash automation.  Taken over from Paul & Behdad.
 * Stormy - to ask LWN if they can automate it with gnome.org addresses
 * Stormy - To send an email to the GNOME.asia list for plans for next year.
 * Stormy - To create a wiki page on the accounts holders.

=== New Action Items ===

 * '''ACTION''': Karen to finalize the design of the report with Andreas
 * '''ACTION''': Joanie will look for a lunch venue / source for the
AB meeting because we will not have time to scope out the location
upon arrival.
 * '''ACTION''': Karen to contact Colin to announce the Summit
 * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele will audit the current donors and check
that everybody received their benefits
 * '''ACTION''': Karen to continue following up with CiviCRM contractors

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Discussion with new board members
   * Scheduling a meeting time that works with all the old and new
board members.
     * It was decided the next meeting will be on Friday, June 29th.

 * Events
   * Planning for GUADEC.
   * Discussion about whether there should be a Boston Summit or a
Montréal Summit in 2012.
   * Discussion about the recent GNOME.Asia event held in Hong Kong June 9-10.
     * http://2012.gnome.asia/

 * Planning for upcoming advisory board meetings.

 * Discussion about how to move forward with GNOME a11y plans, like
the Friends of GNOME a11y campaign.

Comments are closed.