GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of August 10, 2012

wiki: https://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20120810

== Next Meeting ==

 * Friday, August 24th, 2012

== Attending ==

 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Karen Sandler
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Seif Lotfy
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Regrets ===

 * Bastien Nocera
 * Shaun !McCance

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Go through the pending action items and reassign or drop
   * Last item assigned to Stormy has been re-assigned to Karen and Zana

 * Changing the wiki ACL
   * Drop the old board members where necessary
   * Done, Germán already took care of it
   * Brian took care of the mailing lists
     * We still somebody else aside from Karen to moderate marketing-private
     * Tobias volunteered
     * Seif volunteered too
     * '''ACTION''': Karen to add Tobias and Seif to marketing lists moderation

 * Post-GUADEC feedback
   * The board wants to recognize the work of the GUADEC organization team
     * Organizers did an awesome job
     * Recognized on various blog posts on the Planet
   * Should we have a post-mortem of GUADEC 2012 for GUADEC 2013?
     * We had a small session between the Desktop Summit 2011 and
GUADEC 2012, on IRC
     * '''ACTION''': Karen to notify the GUADEC 2012 organization team
to record the issues faced for exchange with the GUADEC 2013 team
     * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to start a wiki page on the community
feedback of GUADEC 2012
     * '''ACTION''': Andreas to work with GUADEC 2013 bid winners to
conduct session regarding learning from previous GUADEC

 * Advisory board feedback
   * Good meeting
   * Letting the AB members to drive the discussion
     * Went well, as in 2011
     * There's value in the Advisory Board setting the agenda
   * Questions from the AB members have been answered by the community
     * Example: interface guidelines
   * Some AB members feel better about GNOME's direction after the AB
meeting and GUADEC
   * Need to follow up - setting up task groups, identifying other
opportunities for in person meetings
     * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the minutes of the AB meeting
at GUADEC to the adboard list
     * '''ACTION''': All board members to review the AB meeting
minutes on the wiki
   * Next AB meeting conference call?
     * Two to three months, as agreed at GUADEC
     * October 2012
     * Maybe use the Boston Summit, depending on attendance
     * '''ACTION''': Karen to check if an AB meeting would be possible
at the Boston Summit

 * AGM feedback
   * [[https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2012-July/msg00034.html|Vincent
sent feedback on foundation-list]]
   * release team discussion
     * Need to schedule some time to pick up the discussion
     * Should the release-team discussion be on the agenda for the IRC meeting?
   * We overran because of unforeseen discussions
     * release-team and vote on the Planet GNOME policies
   * No time to have a Q&A with the Board
   * Stricter time limits on the presentation
   * Increase the AGM slot from a 2 hours meeting to a 3 hours meeting

 * Boston Summit status
   * Announced on mailing list, Planet, and wiki
   * Travel committee announced the deadline for the sponsorship
   * Red Hat has agreed to sponsor the summit
   * Other potential sponsors?
   * '''ACTION''': Karen to look at other potential sponsors for Boston Summit

 * IRC meetings status
   * Define the agenda
     * release-team discussion
   * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to set up Papillion to schedule a day and
time for the foundation IRC meeting
   * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to contact the release-team to attend the
foundation IRC meeting
   * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele and Seif to discuss whether other teams
should attend the foundation IRC meeting along with the release-team

 * Identifying areas and individual Board members to be the key responders
   * Has there been some progress in gong through the archives of the
board-list to identify the types of questions that the board receives?
     * Not yet
   * The discussion should be held on the mailing list
   * '''ACTION''': Seif to send an email on board-list to start the
discussion on the areas of involvement for each board member

== Completed Actions ==
 * Andreas to put "changing the wiki ACL" on the agenda for the next meeting
 * Andreas to put the IRC meetings on the agenda
 * Andreas to put pending actions on the agenda
 * Brian to hand over to Andreas and Bastien the password for the
board-only mailing list
 * Bastien - To contact the GUADEC 2010 organizers to get further
clarification on the discrepancy between agreed and effective
compensation.
 * Karen - To talk to a11y team for the end of the FoG campaign.
(Joanie has an action item)
 * Karen - To contact Colin to announce the Summit.
 * Karen & Tobias - To draft a proposal for an update of the by-laws at the AGM.
 * Shaun & Karen - Will work on submitting the financial report.
 * Shaun & Karen - To have a run-through over budget items.
 * Shaun & Karen - To review the Financial section of the Annual Report.

== Status of action items ==
 * All directors should discuss the first-response contact for emails
 * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
 * Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if
they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
 * Emmanuele - Will audit the current donors and check that everybody
received their benefits.
 * Joanie, Seif to go through the board-list archives to categorize
the types  of contacts and come up with the various areas
 * Joanie to work with the A11y team to write proposals for using the
Mozilla and FoG money
 * Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
 * Karen - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
 * Karen - Follow up with getting Alan Day and Sumana Harihareswara to
sign the Copyright Assessment from SFLC.  Transferred from Brian.
 * Karen - To continue working with Justin about renewing the old trademarks.
 * Karen - Will reach out to Mozilla to find advice about negotiating
partnerships.
 * Karen - To continue following up with CiviCRM contractors.
 * Karen - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
   * This has been done.  Will close once the Foundation website is
updated, refer to bug #644932.
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644932
 * Karen - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the
archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
 * Karen - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases.
   * This has been done.  Will close once the Foundation website is
updated, refer to bug #644932.
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644932
 * Karen to send the proposal to form a committee for
out-of-board-meeting decisions to foundation-list
 * Karen to investigate alternative solutions for CiviCRM (security,
reliability)
 * Karen to contact foundation-list to get feedback for CiviCRM
 * Karen to contact sysadmin team to evaluate existing contract proposals
 * Karen - to make LWN integration with CiviCRM one of the
requirements for the contracted project
 * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering !PayPal information into !GnuCash.
 * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
 * Seif to get more information on the event and create a proposal
about a possible event in Egypt
 * Shaun - Will post the January 18th, 2012 IRC meeting minutes.
 * Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a
list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
 * Shaun - To help out extracting the GNOME respondents of Describe
FoundationBoard/Minutes/20111115 here.the Desktop Summit survey.
 * Shaun - To contact the previous editors of the Annual Report to
gather a better picture of how to move forward.
 * Shaun - To coordinate with Germán to write a report for the
Financials section of the Annual Report.
 * Shaun - To start a discussion with Andrea about the Emeritus status.
 * Shaun - To finish the Financial section of the Annual Report before
the end of the week (week 20).
 * Shaun - To review the Desktop Summit draft before the end of the
week (week 20).
 * Karen & Zana - To create a wiki page on the web services accounts holders.

=== New Action Items ===

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * GNOME/Mono hackfests and Banshee Amazon revenue
 * Selling GNOME stuff and copyright
 * Exposure of GNOME on BSD magazine

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

Comments are closed.