GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting – September 18, 2012

wiki: https://live.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20120918

= Minutes for Meeting of September 18th, 2012 =

== Next Meeting ==

 * Tuesday, October 2nd, 2012

== Attending ==

 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Bastien Nocera
 * Shaun !McCance
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Seif Lotfy

=== Regrets ===

 * Karen Sandler (on leave)

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Foundation IRC meeting summary.
  * Summary and results
    * Good attendance
    * Did we get actionable items?
      * The position expressed during the meeting was that the
maintainers should still be in charge of the direction of the GNOME
Project
      * Maintainer should meet every other GUADEC to decide the
direction and gauge the eventual changes
      * The release-team should be in charge of distilling the
position of the maintainers and enforce it so that it comes to
completion
  * When do we hold the next foundation meeting? What topic/topics?
    * A proposal is to have the next meeting when issues arise
    * Ask the community for agenda items for the board meeting
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the minutes of the IRC meeting to
the foundation-list

 * Update on Boston Summit
  * SUSE might want to sponsor. Where are we on that?
    * We don't have a standard sponsor package for the Boston Summit
    * It would have make it easier to get sponsorship in the future
    * The Boston Summit is more of a free-form/unconference style
    * We should have sponsorship for social events and/or lunch
    * Better to have sponsored attendance - either through employers
sending their employees or through sponsorship to have the Foundation
cover the travel
    * '''ACTION''': Andreas to send an email to adboard-list to
encourage the advisory board members to send employees to the Boston
Summit
    * '''ACTION''': Joanie will follow up with SUSE to get a feel for
how much they would like to sponsor. One possibility is snacks and
coffee.
    * '''ACTION''': All Board members will provide responses on the
mailing list regarding whether or not to use $300 dollars of the Red
Hat sponsorship to be used for lunch.
    * '''ACTION''': Joanie and Zana will follow up with Colin to make
sure all things are on track, to confirm that outside "catering" is
acceptable, and to discuss Marina's proposal to have a newbie event
the evening before.
  * Anything additional that needs help on?
    * Shall we have an adboard meeting there? Shall we reach out to
adboard list and ask?
    * We need an agenda and as we don't have any, we don't need to meet
    * To be discussed on the mailing list

 * GUADEC 2013
  * Deadline on GUADEC bids are September 22nd.
  * We need to decide and announce the winning bid some time after that'.
  * Do we need to set up a separate meeting or will a regular board meeting do?
  * Next steps after that?
    * It'd be cool to get the winning team in contact with the last local team
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to contact the GUADEC bidding teams to
remind them about the bid deadline
  * Would be nice to be able to announce GUADEC 2013 at the Boston Summit
    * Deadline for the bids is September 22nd
    * Next Board meeting is on October 2nd
    * Boston Summit is October 6th/7th/8th
  * Do we need a meeting with the bid teams?
    * Good for questions from the Board
    * Conference call around the time of the next Board meeting
    * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to contact the GUADEC bidding teams to
get feedback on a conference call to answer eventual questions on the
bids from the board

 * Fabio Duran Verdugo from Diá GNOME asked for 2,077 USD for travel
and accommodation for 8 GNOME collaborators and promotional material.
   * We are still in budget for Hackfests
   * Vote: Unanimous
   * '''ACTION''': Andreas to notify Fabio about the approved expense
for Diá GNOME

 * Vincent Untz asked if the current list of Adboard members on
http://www.gnome.org/foundation/ is up to date.
   * We need to make sure it is.
   * Need to check who on the adboard was invoiced and paid the invoice
   * Karen was tracking some of the adboard members, so we need to
check with her
   * '''ACTION''': Andreas to answer to Vincent about the current
status of the adboard members list

 * Status of web version of Annual report
   * Still waiting for Emmanuele's list of FoG donors

== Completed Actions ==

 * Emmanuele will send reminders about the IRC meeting on September
14th to the mailing list and foundation blog
 * Emmanuele will check with release team for availability for the IRC
meeting on September 14th
 * Emmanuele to send the minutes of the AB meeting at GUADEC to the
adboard list
 * Emmanuele to send the announcement of the foundation's IRC meeting
date poll to foundation-announce
 * Emmanuele to publish the agenda for the IRC meeting once the date
has been decided
 * Emmanuele to send the minutes of the IRC meeting to the foundation-list
 * Emmanuele to contact the GUADEC bidding teams to remind them about
the bid deadline

== Status of action items ==

 * All directors should discuss the first-response contact for emails
 * Andreas and Emmanuele to discuss the best approach to publish the
Agenda on foundation-list before the board meeting
 * Bastien - To contact the BBC to discuss about possible
collaboration in working directly with GNOME.
 * Bastien - Reach out to the GNOME Advisory Board via email to see if
they can help out with providing contacts at Yahoo.
 * Bastien will research what the status of the Banshee Amazon revenue
is and report back to Bertrand Lorentz
 * Emmanuele - Will audit the current donors and check that everybody
received their benefits.
 * Emmanuele to start a wiki page on the community feedback of GUADEC 2012
 * Joanie will send an email to both GNOME and KDE board lists to get
us all together on the discussion for a desktop collaboration summit.
 * Joanie, Seif to go through the board-list archives to categorize
the types  of contacts and come up with the various areas
 * Joanie to work with the A11y team to write proposals for using the
Mozilla and FoG money
 * Karen - To look into Google Checkout as an annual payment option for FoG.
 * Karen - To finish the Privacy Policy, get review from James Vasile, etc.
 * Karen - To continue working with Justin about renewing the old trademarks.
 * Karen - Will reach out to Mozilla to find advice about negotiating
partnerships.
 * Karen - To continue following up with CiviCRM contractors.
 * Karen to contact foundation-list to get feedback for CiviCRM
 * Karen - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
   * This has been done.  Will close once the Foundation website is
updated, refer to bug #644932.
   * https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644932
 * Karen - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent Untz. Look at the
archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
 * Karen to investigate alternative solutions for CiviCRM (security,
reliability)
 * Karen to contact sysadmin team to evaluate existing contract proposals
 * Karen to check if an AB meeting would be possible at the Boston Summit
 * Karen to look at other potential sponsors for Boston Summit
 * Karen and Joanie to get feedback on corporate sponsorship for the
Boston Summit
 * Rosanna - Automate the process of entering !PayPal information into !GnuCash.
 * Rosanna - Will apply for the GNOME credit card.
 * Rosanna to ask whether former board members still use the access to
GNOME's paypal data help out and if not, remove the access. Otherwise,
we will re-evaluate the situation.
 * Rosanna to double check the information to send to Google for
Google Summer of Code payment.
 * Seif to get more information on the event and create a proposal
about a possible event in Egypt
 * Seif to send an email on board-list to start the discussion on the
areas of involvement for each board member
 * Shaun - Will post the January 18th, 2012 IRC meeting minutes.
 * Shaun - To contact Dave Neary and Ekaterina Gerasimova to get a
list of attendees to get feedback for the summit.
 * Shaun - To help out extracting the GNOME respondents of Describe
FoundationBoard/Minutes/20111115 here.the Desktop Summit survey.
 * Shaun - To contact the previous editors of the Annual Report to
gather a better picture of how to move forward.
 * Shaun - To coordinate with Germán to write a report for the
Financials section of the Annual Report.
 * Shaun - To start a discussion with Andrea about the Emeritus status.
 * Shaun - To finish the Financial section of the Annual Report before
the end of the week (week 20).
 * Shaun - To review the Desktop Summit draft before the end of the
week (week 20).
 * Karen - to make LWN integration with CiviCRM one of the
requirements for the contracted project
 * Stormy - To create a wiki page on the web services accounts holders.

=== New Action Items ===
 * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the minutes of the IRC meeting to
the foundation-list
 * '''ACTION''': Andreas to send an email to adboard-list to encourage
the advisory board members to send employees to the Boston Summit
 * '''ACTION''': Joanie will follow up with SUSE to get a feel for how
much they would like to sponsor. One possibility is snacks and coffee.
 * '''ACTION''': All Board members will provide responses on the
mailing list regarding whether or not to use $300 dollars of the Red
Hat sponsorship to be used for lunch.
 * '''ACTION''': Joanie and Zana will follow up with Colin to make
sure all things are on track, to confirm that outside "catering" is
acceptable, and to discuss Marina's proposal to have a newbie event
the evening before.
 * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to contact the GUADEC bidding teams to
remind them about the bid deadline
 * '''ACTION''': Andreas to notify Fabio about the approved expense
for Diá GNOME
 * '''ACTION''': Andreas to answer to Vincent about the current status
of the adboard members list
 * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to contact the GUADEC bidding teams to get
feedback on a conference call to answer eventual questions on the bids
from the board

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Reimbursements for the GIMP team LGM 2012
 * City of Largo wanted to donate money to the User Observation
Hackfest and wanted to know how to best handle that.
 * Ramón Villaverde sent log in details to freewear.org

Comments are closed.