GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of October 10th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, October 10th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting due on October 24th, 2014 at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Rosanna Yuen
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Jeff Fortin
* Karen Sandler
* Andrea Veri
* Sriram Ramkri…

Development: New feature proposals period end

Hello all,

New feature proposals period end

For more information about 3.15, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.15
page:
http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview …

Development: GNOME 3.14.1 is out

Hello all,

Here comes our first update to GNOME 3.14, it has many fixes, various
improvements, documentation and translation updates, we hope you’ll
enjoy it.

We will soon publish the schedule for our next releases, and a first
development release, 3…

GNOME: GNOME Boston Summit 2014 starts tomorrow

 

Back_Bay_and_Charles_River,_Boston,_MA

GNOME Summit 2014 starts tomorrow. The GNOME Summit is an annual gathering of contributors from around the world that features three-days of discussion and working sessions. After the last Summit, held in Montreal it’s this year back in Boston.

Scheduled topics include: Wayland, App development, Privacy and the GNOME Continuous build system. The summit is an informal event and everyone is welcome.

On Saturday Richard Stallman, President of the Free Software Foundation will be delivering an address. More information about the 2014 edition of the Summit can be found on the wiki.

The foundation wants to thank MIT for providing the venue and Red Hat for sponsoring breakfasts.

Development: GNOME 3.14.1 newstable tarballs due

Hello all,

Tarballs are due on 2014-10-13 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.14.1
newstable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which
were proposed for inclusion should try to follow the unstable schedule
so everyone can test them. P…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of September 26th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, September 26th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting is on Friday, October 10th, 2014, at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Rosanna Yuen
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Jeff Fortin
* Karen Sandler
* Tobias Mueller
* …

GNOME: GNOME 3.14 Video Published

With GNOME 3.14 just released, the GNOME project has published a video that demos the new GNOME version. The short film is a great way to lean about the new features – and see some of the attention to detail – in the new release.

As always, more details can be found in the release notes.

GNOME: GNOME 3.14 Released

GNOME 3.14, the latest version of GNOME 3, has been released. Announcing the new version, Matthias Clasen said: “This is another exciting release for GNOME, and brings many new features and improvements.”

The new release is the result of six months’ work by the GNOME project, and includes 28,859 changes by 871 contributors. Highlights for 3.14 include:

  • New animations in the Activities Overview, along with new window animations.
  • Automatic handling for Wi-Fi hotspots that require you to login (so called “captive portals”).
  • A redesigned Weather application, which uses geolocation to show the weather for your current location.
  • Support for browsing Google pictures in Photos.
  • Improved touchscreen support, with multi-touch gestures for both the system and applications.

The latest GNOME release also includes major improvements for developers, including GTK+ Inspector (a new utlity to examine and modify running GTK+ applications), the ability to use SVG assets as a part of GTK+ themes, improved touchscreen support, and major progress towards Wayland.

More information about the latest version, including details on all the new features, can be found in the release notes.

Additional details, including links to the 3.14 screenshot pack and test image, can be found in the press release.

GNOME: GNOME 3.14 Released: A Refined Experience

Orinda, CA– The GNOME Project is proud to announce the release of GNOME 3.14 today. This milestone release in the GNOME 3 series brings exciting new features, bug fixes, and an enhanced application development platform. Major new features include automatic handling for captive portals, network-aware sharing, Google photos support, and touchscreen gestures.

Jeff Fortin, GNOME Foundation President, said: “With multitouch and gestures support coming to GTK+, as well as maturing support for the next-generation Wayland display protocol, GNOME is paving the way for the future of the Free Software desktop and mobile ecosystem at large. It is great to see that applications have undergone, as always, a great amount of refinement; routing in GNOME Maps and improved PDF annotation features in Evince, for instance, are long-awaited features that I’m very eager to try out in GNOME 3.14.”

GNOME 3.14 highlights include:

  • New animations in the Activities Overview, along with new window animations.
  • Automatic handling for Wi-Fi hotspots that require you to login (so called “captive portals”).
  • A redesigned Weather application, which uses geolocation to show the weather for your current location.
  • Support for browsing Google pictures in Photos.
  • Improved touchscreen support, with multi-touch gestures for both the system and applications.

Developers can look forward to a new live inspector for GTK+ applications, enhanced CSS capabilties, major progress on Wayland adoption, and a significant update for GNOME’s Human Interface Guidelines.

Distributions and partners have welcomed the latest GNOME release. Scott Reeves, SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop Manager, said: “The GNOME 3 desktop provides a stable, feature rich experience for individual end users and for professional environments as well. GNOME 3 has reached a point of integration and polish to the extent that we will ship GNOME 3 as the desktop for our enterprise customers. We are invested in and contributing to the GNOME project and look forward to the additional functionality and improvements in GNOME 3.14 and beyond. We intend to continue including GNOME 3 in subsequent releases of our SUSE Linux Enterprise product.”

The news was also welcomed by Debian’s GNOME team. Jordi Mallach, one of the team’s members: “The Debian GNOME packagers are very happy to see another GNOME release which brings even more polish and new features to the already very reliable 3.x foundation. We’ve done our best to make sure Debian ‘jessie’ will ship with GNOME 3.14, as the improvements over previous releases will really make a difference for our next stable release. Congrats to the GNOME community!”

More information about the latest version, including details on all the new features, can be found in the release notes. A screenshot pack is also available, as well as a test image so you can try it for yourself.

The GNOME Foundation thanks all of the contributors for their hard work during this release cycle and all of its sponsors for their support.

About GNOME

GNOME was started in 1997 by two then-university students, Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena Quintero. Their aim: to produce a free (as in freedom) desktop environment. Since then, GNOME has grown into a hugely successful enterprise. Used by millions of people around the world, it is one of the most popular environments for GNU/Linux and UNIX-type operating systems. GNOME’s software has been utilized in successful, large-scale enterprise and public deployments.

The GNOME community is made up of hundreds of contributors from all over the world, many of whom are volunteers. This community is supported by the GNOME Foundation, an independent non-profit organization that provides financial, organizational and legal assistance. The Foundation is a democratic institution that is directed by its members, who are all active GNOME contributors. GNOME and its Foundation work to promote software freedom through the creation of innovative, accessible, and beautiful user experiences.

Development: GNOME 3.14 released

The GNOME Project is proud to announce the release of GNOME 3.14.

This is another exciting release for GNOME, and brings many new features
and improvements, including multitouch, captive portal support, greatly
improved sharing settings. This release …

Debian Switches Back To GNOME As Default Desktop Environment

Debian switched to Xfce as the default desktop environment back in November 2013. But that didn’t last long because a few days ago, Debian restored GNOME as the default desktop, based on preliminary results from the Debian Desktop Requalification for Jessie.According to Joey Hess, the Debian developer who performed this change, the main reasons for […]

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of September 12th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, September 12th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting Friday, September 26th 2014, 16:00 UTC.

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Karen Sandler
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==
 * Andrea Veri

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Bountysource account for the Foundation? (see "Bounties for GNOME/GTK" thread)
   * Waiting for contact information from Sri to get in touch with Elementary folks

 * Funding for GNOME interns in OPW
  * Request for $6000 from GNOME general funds for a GNOME OPW intern
  * Would be good to have a decision today (2014-09-12)
  * Treasurer recommends against voting before an updated financial report
  * Proposal to use Privacy campaign for a GNOME privacy OPW intern

 * Deferred until further mailing list discussion occurs from other board members or missing info:
   * GNOME Privacy project (hub's offer, and the findings of SafetyTeam at GUADEC)
   * Outreach administrativia fast-tracking
   * Karen's GUADEC 2014 travel expenses reimbursement (awaits vote from travel committee, and forwarding of relevant mail thread)
   * Outstanding brand use requests: Julio Cesar Caraça's idea for selling apparel in Brazil (mail subject: "Sharing an idea...")

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * Groupon: Pam  made a mistake in filing a change of name form instead of a change of  address form
  * Pam confirmed with the USPTO that this will have no impact on GNOME and is taking all relevant steps to correct
  * VOTE: reimburse Pam USD 40.00 for expenses: +1 unanimous
 * Groupon and related administrative preparations
 * Using appear.in (WebRTC) for some board meetings

== Completed Actions ==
 * Jeff to reply to the "Permission request for Personal use of Gnome foot" mail thread
 * Zana to look into brand usecontracts that she has on paper and scan them
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)

== Pending action items ==
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation


Development: TARBALLS DUE: GNOME 3.13.92 release candidate + HARD CODE FREEZE

Hello all,

Quick reminder: Tarballs are expected TODAY.

If you are not able to make a tarball before this deadline or if you
think you’ll be late, please send a mail to the release team and we’ll
find someone to roll the tarball for you!

We will be …

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of August 29th, 2014

= Minutes for Friday, August 29th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya (joined late)
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Karen Sandler
 * Andrea Veri
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Rosanna's proposed job description
  * Kat had a chat with Rosanna about her new responsibilities.
   * Rosanna confirmed she's ready and willing to do her best to achieve all the proposed items on the job description she proposed
  * The only practical changes would be Rosanna being able to sign paperwork without having to poke the Board every time for signatures
   * This will help speeding up Foundation's administration
  * VOTE: To accept the draft job description as proposed by Rosanna and with Marina's addition by email: +1 Jeff, Karen, Kat, Sri, Andrea
   * Proposed text and approved text: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/RosannaYuenJobDescription

 * Groupon

 * Outstanding brand use requests
   * Julio Cesar Caraça's mail sent to licensing< at > on 7 Jul 2014 20:05:14 -0700, titled: "Sharing an idea..."
    * Rosanna could not find such a prior agreement with Loja Geek in Brazil; exclusive agreement was turned down by the board at the time.
    * Rosanna does have a signed agreement with Freewear in Spain needs to scan it.
     * ACTION: Rosanna to mail the Freewear agreement to board-list for the Board to review
    * The board needs to review previous agreements before responding.
    * Possible to have blanket approval for non-commertial uses (i.e. where the produced merchandise is not sold, needs to be investigated further
    * Need to make sure any restrictions on logo do not hinder its use as part of free software and are not unduly restrictive
    * ACTION: Jeff to review the Freewear agreement and adapt it (if needed) to Julio's case, put "should we propose that to Julio" up for vote on the mailing list, and then send the mail.

 * Getting a Bountysource account for the Foundation? (see "Bounties for GNOME/GTK" thread)
   * ACTION: Rosanna to open the account and coordinate with Daniel Foré (Sri to get them in touch)

 * Privacy campaign
  * Tobi proposes using some of the funds for interns
  * Tobi should be able to mentor an intern
  * Possible to look for someone more experienced instead of a newcomer (ex: public call for tenders on the foundation list etc.)
  * Interns may not be the best use of the campaign money
  * Treasurer suggests that it would be unwise to assign non-campaign funds to OPW at this time (because even though the Foundation has collected on most of the outstanding OPW invoices, income from this year may be lower )
    * Jeff suggests that this use of funds can be done sometime later in the fall or winter, as there is no deadline to use them
  * ACTION: Tobi to coordinate with Hubert Figuière and Federico to come up with an actionable list of items/bounties (maybe we could even use bountysource?) for existing gnome contributors to tackle?

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * GUADEC 2014 travel reimbursements approval (should GUADEC reimbursements be sent out?)
  * VOTE: +1 Kat, Andrea, Karen, Sri, Marina
 * Bid proposal for GUADEC 2016 - Rome
  * Also sent to guadec-list for an overview: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/guadec-list/2014-August/msg00004.html
 * Agreement for Samsung OPW participants
  * Karen proposed a sample agreement required by Samsung to be able to participate to the next OPW round
  * VOTE: +1 Marina, Sri, Tobi, Karen, Kat, Jeff
 * OPW Payments for the upcoming round
  * Only make the final payments to interns who are sponsored by the Organizations from which we received payments for all the rounds they sponsored. (some background can be found at https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140422)
  * That will avoid making those payments by using Foundation's funds.
  * Approve the final payments for this round before the 27th August when those payments are due:
   * VOTE: +1 Kat, Andrea, Tobias, Marina, Karen, Jeff
 * Re-licensing the documentation provided by Sun Microsystems (for the gucharmap module)

== Completed Actions ==
 * Andrea to improve board's docs about what a Board member should know before participating to board's decisions and discussions (DONE)
 * Marina to update travel policy accordingly to what has been discussed and voted by the Board
 * Andrea need to check who is on the engagement-private list, core members only or the whole engagement team? There may be old inactive members on that list since it was copied over from the old marketing-private list

== Pending action items ==
 * Jeff to reply to the "Permission request for Personal use of Gnome foot" mail thread
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
 * Zana to look into brand usecontracts that she has on paper and scan them


Development: GNOME 3.13.92 rc tarballs due (and more) (responsible: fredp)

Hello all,

We would like to inform you about the following:
* GNOME 3.13.92 rc tarballs due
* Hard Code Freeze

Tarballs are due on 2014-09-15 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.13.92
rc release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which were…

Development: New feature proposals period start

Hello all,

New feature proposals period start

For more information about 3.13, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.13
page:
http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overvie…

Development: GNOME 3.13.91, second beta release!

Hello all,

Here comes GNOME 3.13.91, our second beta release and a new step
towards 3.14.0, scheduled to be released September 24th; but before
that we have to take all opportunities to test things thorougly, so
go download it, test it and file bug re…

GNOME: GNOME Foundation publish 2013 Annual Report

The GNOME foundation are pleased to publish the 2013 Annual Report . In the Report you can read about the foundation activities during last the year, some of the highlights include details about the continuous success of the OPW program and the many hackfest that have taken place during the last year.

“The 2013 Annual Report highlight how vibrant the GNOME project are and represents itself a real community effort.” Oliver Propst, Annual Report coordinator

The foundation want to thank Friends of GNOME and advisory board members who support the foundation and its operations.

Development: GNOME 3.13.91 beta tarballs due (and more)

Hello all,

We would like to inform you about the following:
* GNOME 3.13.91 beta tarballs due
* String Freeze

Tarballs are due on 2014-09-01 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.13.91
beta release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which wer…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of August 15th, 2014

= Minutes for Tuesday, August 15th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Karen Sandler

== Regrets ==
 * Andrea Veri

== Board meeting ==
 * Groupon
 * Final wording checks for updated Travel Policy
  * Discussed, approved with minor changes.
  * ACTION: Marina to update travel policy
 * Outstanding brand use requests
  * need someone to take action/mail Carol Hanson re: "Permission request for Personal use of Gnome foot"
    * ACTION: Jeff to reply to her
  * Julio Cesar Caraça's mail sent to licensing< at > on 7 Jul 2014 20:05:14 -0700, titled: "Sharing an idea..."
 * Review "pending action" items from previous minutes, reassign old action items to new board members

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * GNOME and GitCafe cooperation
  * Setting up a mirror of git.gnome.org as a first step
  * Brainstorm for more ideas to improve our cooperation
 * GNOME PERU FEST 2014 reimbursement
 * Outreach administrativia fast-tracking
 * GNOME Privacy project (hub's offer, and the findings of SafetyTeam at GUADEC (see https://wiki.gnome.org/SafetyTeam/MeetingDocumentation)

== Completed Actions ==
 * Jeff to send the agenda to the adboard
 * Jeff to lead the efforts with parties that are interested in sponsorship to prepare a new text hopefully for the next meeting
  * Marina will work with Jeff to shuffle around some paragraphs in the travel sponsorship policy to make it more clear
 * Marina checked with engagement team about re-sharing GNOME-related job offers from adboard members
 * Andreas to ask Karen and Pam how much we should disclose to the community about the ongoing discussion with Groupon 
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors (obsolete)
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors (obsolete)
 * Tobi will mention that we pay for LWN codes when sending the offer to donors
 * Tobi will implement that "no gift" on the FoG page also means no LWN subscription
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts (obsolete)

== Pending action items ==
 * Andrea to improve board's docs about what a Board member should know before participating to board's decisions and discussions
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
 * Zana to look into brand usecontracts that she has on paper and scan them