GNOME: Thanks, Gothenburg!

GUADEC is the GNOME project’s primary annual event, held every year in a different European city. This year, it was the turn of Gothenburg, Sweden. The conference brought together contributors, enthusiasts and partners from around the world for three days of talks, followed by three days of workshops (called “Birds of a Feather” sessions). It ran between the 6th and 12th of August.

Presentations covered significant developments in GNOME technologies, such as xdg-app, Builder, and new GTK+ features. There were also talks by GNOME’s partners, including SUSE, ownCloud, LibreOffice, and Endless. Recordings of these talks can be viewed on As always, the conference was also an opportunity for contributors from around the world to meet, make plans, and have fun.

GUADEC couldn’t happen without the work of local volunteers who organize each conference, nor without the support of our sponsors. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped to make this year’s conference such a success.

In order to recognise the achievements of this year’s GUADEC organizers, the GNOME Release Team has decided to adopt “Gothenburg” as the code name for the upcoming GNOME release, version 3.18!

GNOME is still looking for a venue for next year’s GUADEC. Check out the wiki if you would like to bring the GNOME project to your city!

Photograph by (, via Wikimedia Commons.

GNOME: Happy 18th Birthday, GNOME!

Today, GNOME turns 18.

On Friday, August 15, 1997, GNOME was founded by two then-university students, Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena Quintero. Their aim: to produce a free (as in freedom) desktop environment that is beautiful and simple to use. In September, we will welcome the release of GNOME 3.18 which continues to embody those founding principles.

Join us in celebrating GNOME’s birthday! Some ideas: wear your GNOME gear, grab drinks with GNOME friends, thank a contributor, or simply take a moment to reflect upon the significance of this day. How has GNOME impacted your life? We’d love to hear. Tweet us (@gnome), or tell us on Facebook (/GNOMEDesktop).

Spread the word and show how vibrant the GNOME community is! Please use these hashtags in your social media posts: #HappyBirthdayGnome, #IAMGNOME, #GNOME2015.


Federico Mena Quintero at GUADEC 2015.

Photo Credit: Garret LeSage 

Happy birthday, GNOME! Now go get some drinks and cake.

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of July, 20th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, July 20th, 2015, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting date, Wednesday 05th of August, 10:00 AM CEST, GUADEC

== Attending ==
 * Shaun McCance
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Christian Hergert
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Allan Day

* Old board members attending
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Karen Sandler

== Regrets ==
 * Old board members
  * Marina Zhurakhinskaya

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads)
  * A quick Google image search returns no other occurrences on the web at first glance
  * Mark is distorted, does not follow brand guidelines and is not associated with GNOME.
  * The use of the logo on the mouse pad has potential for confusion because it's related to computers. On the other hand, it's not actively marketed as a "GNOME mousepad" by the seller, just a picture among other choices
  * Even though we do not have a trademark registered in UK, we are still covered under UK law
  * Two ways to approach:
   * Ask to use a different logo (i.e. lose association with GNOME)
   * Ask to associate it closer with GNOME (ie respecting the trademark guidelines)
  * General consensus on the mailing list seemed to be that we need to enforce the trademark in this case
  * If we deem this an acceptable use we ought to have some sort of licensing agreement; what about royalties
  * Contact the seller first; if it doesn't work, contact Amazon as a last resort
  * Need to be very careful about how we contact the seller, there is no such thing as a casual contact over a trademark issue
  * ACTION: Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board

 * GIMP expenses for tent, camera, LGM 2015 attendance
  * References:
  * No objections from any member of the Board, reimbursements can be processed

 * GUADEC adboard meeting agenda (list thread -
  * The usual duration of presentations is 10-20 mins, but in practice adboard members have the floor for however long they wish
  * The problem is getting confirmations of attendance of adboard members
   * ACTION: Jeff to pick up the phone and chase them down, forego email entirely. Might be tricky given how late this is
    * If not many attendees, position this as a short/small meeting (half day?), not a big one.
  * Current proposed agenda:
   * Wayland progress and timetable
   * xdg-app - Alex might not be able to come in to talk 
   * Builder (maybe Christian could recycle some content from his keynote?)
   * Financial situation
   * Groupon resolution and report >> already covered in a previous adboard meeting, and this topic will come up as a subtopic of the financial report anyway
   * Executive Director search
     * Most important item on the meeting as it may serve as a "nip in the bud" for criticism re the amount of work done through the year?   * Should it be a full or half day meeting?
    * General agreement that it needs to start before lunch, as the lunch is quite important when it comes to retaining adboard members. So the official answer is "We start during the morning, go to lunch, and then come back for some more discussions in the afternoon and if it ends early, it ends early and that's it."

 * Annual Report plan of action & timeline
  * Not going to get done in time for GUADEC
  * Needs to be done soon after
  * ACTION: Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst

 * Deferred until further mailing list discussion occurs from other board members (or missing info):
   * ED search
   * Discuss plans for reviewing salaries/hourly rates of employees/contractors

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * Travel committee budget for Apr-Sep 2015
  * Back in October the Board approved a budget of 6k USD, the amount was smaller than usual as the Groupon trademark infringement case was ongoing
  * A documentation hackfest is due to in September
  * VOTE: Allocate a budget of USD 6k to the travel committee for the period of Apr-Sep 2015
   * +1 Cosimo, Allan, Andrea, Jeff, Kat

 * VOTEs on invitations letters (for GUADEC participants needing a VISA) for GUADEC 2015
  * Pranav Kant, GSoC 2014 student, Co-Speaker with Markus Mohrhard, Foundation Member
  * Siska Restu Anggraeny Iskandar, GNOME.Asia 2015
  * Su Yunqiang, referred by David King
  * Julita Inca Chiroque, GNOME Peru organizer, previous GUADEC attendances
  * Alexander Patrakov, previous GUADEC attendances, contributions to ALSA and Pulseaudio
  * VOTE regarding all the three applicants as the requests were sent as a cumulative e-mail:
   * +1 Kat, Jeff, Andrea, Allan

 * GNOME at SCALE 14x
  * Drew Adams from the OpenSUSE Project reached out to the Board for organizing a possible GNOME booth at SCALE 14x

 * GNOME Summit 2015
  * A room has been booked and announced by Colin Walters at MIT

 * Code of conduct GUADEC 2015
  * The CoC for this year's GUADEC has been revised to include new code of conduct support team members
  * The CoC has been published on the GUADEC website at

 * New Ubuntu GNOME logo
  * A new logo has been asked for adoption by the Ubuntu GNOME team through Alfredo Hernández
  * The current logo is not compliant to the licensing guidelines as it includes a GNOME foot (within a blue circle) on its own which should only be used to represent GNOME itself
  * The Board is currently evaluating all the possible legal implications with the new logo and no decisions have been taken as of today

 * GUADEC raffle, kindly sponsored by Endless Mobile
  * Endless will donate two computers for a raffle, one of these will be raffled between volunteers and the other between all the event participants
  * The Board would like to thank Endless and Cosimo for making all this happen!

== Pending action items ==
 * Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call on the 4th
 * Annual report:  Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst
 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board
 * GUADEC Adboard meeting
   * Jeff to reach out again to adboard members, past & present, to encourage them to talk to us at GUADEC
   * Allan to start drafting the agenda for that meeting through the mailing list
 * Travel committee budget: 
  * Allan to follow up and check on the status of the Boston/Montreal Summit
  * Cosimo to take the vote for the new 6k allocation for the 2nd half of this financial year to the mailing list
  * Rosanna to check that Andreas received the money for GUADEC accommodation
 * Desktop 2011 taxes: Rosanna to request KDE e.V the annotated document (circling the relevant amounts and calculations leading up to the total etc.)
 * Sri to forward the HELLOTUX brand use agreement to Pam for a first review
 * Board to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a sysadmin

GNOME: GNOME Turns 18 this Saturday

Join us in celebrating GNOME’s birthday this Saturday, August 15th.

This is a great chance to tell the world why you love GNOME, inspire others to give it a try, give back to the community, and just wish GNOME a happy birthday.

Here are some ways that we encourage you to participate in GNOME’s birthday:

Post on social media


Thank a GNOME contributor

If you know someone who contributes to GNOME, send them a thank you. It’s always nice to know you’re appreciated.

You can also adopt a hacker or become a friend of GNOME.

Show your GNOME gear

Wear or show your favorite SWAG, and see if you can get someone to ask you about GNOME. Post a selfie wearing your gear and use the hashtags above so people can see faces from our community.

Say hi to others wearing the gear, and meet other GNOMEies!

Let’s show the world how we rally, and that we’re a great community to be part of.

Happy early birthday, GNOME!

Make Firefox Look Native in Fedora

Firefox has been criticized by users for not fitting well in Fedora Workstation. Although it improved with the new interface called Australis, it still doesn’t feel as native as GNOME Web (Epiphany). It’s not likely it will close the gap any time soon for two… Continue Reading →

GNOME Foundation: GNOME Foundation AGM 2015

Foundation Members,

This year’s GNOME Foundation Annual General Meeting will be held on
the 8th of August at 15:45 (CEST). As with previous years, it is being
held at GUADEC [1]. This year’s conference is at the Folkets Hus [2]
in Gothenburg, Sweden.

GNOME: Donations within the EU are now handled through the Wau Holland Foundation

The GNOME Foundation and the Wau Holland Foundation (Wau Holland Stiftung; WHS) have recently reached an agreement that will significantly improve the way donations to GNOME within the European Union (EU) are received and managed.

Prior to signing this agreement, the GNOME Foundation was able to receive donations through many payment methods (including wires, checks, and Paypal transfers or subscriptions), whether for one-time donations or recurrent (monthly) subscriptions as part of the Friends of GNOME program. However, donors needed to be residents of the United States for their contributions to be eligible for tax-deductibility, and wire transfers were prohibitively expensive from Europe.

The GNOME Foundation worked closely with the WHS to streamline the process for donations made within the European Union. Thanks to this agreement, Europeans donating to the GNOME Foundation through the WHS in support of GNOME will be eligible for tax receipts, allowing them to deduct donated amounts in their annual tax reports to the extent permissible by the law in their local jurisdiction.

The WHS has become a valuable ally to the GNOME Project, providing financial support, knowledge and infrastructure for strengthening GNOME’s ties with their European donors.

“Having an entity for collecting tax-deductible donations within the European Union is something the GNOME Foundation’s Board of Directors has been working on for a long time. I’m glad the current Board was able to sign the agreement that turned this dream into reality,” says Andrea Veri, Secretary of the GNOME Foundation’s Board of Directors.

The GNOME Foundation thanks the WHS for its continued support and help.

Useful links:

  • Ready to make a donation from within the EU? Look at the “Other ways to donate” page.
  • The GNOME Foundation Board of Directors values transparency, and thus made public the agreement between the GNOME Foundation and the WHS. Look here for a copy of the agreement.

GNOME: West Coast Summit 2015 concludes

After three intensive days, West Coast Summit 2015 has concluded in San Francisco. The summit gathered core GNOME contributors and Endless employees, as well as elementary OS contributors.

Topics that were covered during the summit included:

  • Application sandboxing and xdg-app
  • Application development and Builder
  • GTK+ and multi-touch
  • App stores and AppStream
  • Mutter (Screen rotation)

Beside technical work the summit featured discussions about community and outreach.

We’d like to thank everyone who made West Coast Summit 2015 happen. Special thanks goes to Endless for providing the venue.

GNOME Foundation: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2016

The GNOME Foundation invites proposals to host GUADEC 2016.

GUADEC is the biggest gathering of GNOME users and developers, which
takes place in Europe every year. It includes conference days, the
GNOME Foundation annual general meeting and hacking in a week of
coding and discussion.

Teams wishing to organize GUADEC in their city should discuss their
intent to submit a bid with the board before the 1st of August by
email to board-list< at > They should also try to attend GUADEC
2015 in Gothenburg on the 7th-12th August where the board and the
local team will make themselves available to help you figure out what
is involved in organising GUADEC.

The deadline for bid submission will be the 1st of September 2015 by
e-mail to foundation-announce< at > and board-list< at > Bids
should also be uploaded to

Keep in mind that a good location candidate should meet the following criteria:
* easily accessible by plane or train
* motivated local team, preferably with experience in event organisation
* a venue available to host the event
* good options for lunches (catering, student restaurant…)
* affordable accommodation and places to eat in the evening
* space for informal talks and impromptu hacking local industry and
government support

Bids from previous years are available for reference. Also be aware
that while organizing a conference such as GUADEC is a huge
undertaking, people from the GNOME community have been there before
you and will be there to help you. You can find more information at including a How To for writing the bid
and an overview of the kinds of things you should include in the

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to get in touch with the
foundation board at board-list< at >
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce< at >

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of June, 19th, 2015

= Minutes for Friday, June 19th, 2015, 16:00 UTC =

Next meeting date TBD as July 03rd, 2015 is an US national holiday

== Attending ==
* Rosanna Yuen
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Jeff Fortin
* Karen Sandler
* Andrea Veri
* Tobias Mueller
* Sriram …

17 alternatives to your default image viewer on Fedora

Is the default image viewer in your desktop environment just not working the way you want? need more features (or maybe something simpler) from an image viewer? Well, you are in luck, as there is no shortage of choices when… Continue Reading →

GNOME: Students are busy improving GNOME this summer

GNOME is once again participating as a mentoring organization in Google of Summer Code (GSoC), which provides stipends for students to work on Free Software projects over the summer.

GSoC students will work on many improvements to GNOME, including: an image viewing widget for GTK+, additional event sources for GNOME Shell’s time and date menu and improvements to the Java ATK-Wrapper (with the aim to make the Orca Screen Reader fully function with Java apps).

GNOME is also participating in the summer round of Outreachy. Our intern for this period will be working with Jim Hall to conduct usability testing.

This summer’s students will be regularly posting to Planet GNOME, so stay tuned for updates.

GNOME is only be able to offer these internships thanks to Google and the sponsors of Outreachy. We wish the interns the best of luck with their projects!

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of May, 15th, 2015

= Minutes for Friday, May 15th, 2015, 16:00 UTC =

== Attending ==
* Rosanna Yuen
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Jeff Fortin
* Tobias Mueller
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Karen Sandler
* Sriram Ramkrishna

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==
* Andrea Veri

== …

Development: GNOME 3.15.2

Hey GNOMErs!

here is the second snapshot of the GNOME 3.17 development cycle, the
3.17.2 release.
Don’t miss the Bastien blog post about some cool stuff new on this release [1]

To build GNOME 3.17.2, you can use the jhbuild [1] modulesets [2]
(which …

GNOME Foundation: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections 2015 – Candidates

Hello Foundation Members,

It’s that time of the year again! I’m happy to announce the following
candidates for this year’s Board of Directors elections:

* Alexandre Franke

* …

GNOME Foundation: Board of Directors Elections 2015 – Candidacy – Ekaterina Gerasimova

Hello Foundation members,

I am announcing my candidacy for the board of directors. If elected,
this will be my third term. I have been on the board since 2013, and
contributing for a few years longer. I am currently the documentation
team lead, a memb…

GNOME Foundation: Board of Directors Elections 2015 – Candidacy – Ryan Lortie


I am announcing my candidacy for the board of directors.

If elected, this would be my second time on the board.

I have been a GNOME developer during many years, mostly on lower-level

I am currently affiliated with Canonical where I a…

GNOME Foundation: Board of Directors Elections 2015 – Shaun McCance

Name: Shaun McCance
Email: shaunm< at >
Affiliation: Red Hat

Foundation Members,

I’m announcing my candidacy for the board of directors. I’m a long-time
GNOME developer and enthusiast, because I believe GNOME does important
work in ens…

GNOME Foundation: Board of Directors Elections 2015 – Candidacy – Jeff Fortin Tam

Name: Jean-François Fortin Tam
Email: nekohayo at gmail
Affiliation: unaffiliated

Hi everybody,

I am offering my candidacy to serve on the Foundation Board for a second

I have been involved in various areas of GNOME since 2004 or so,
including testing, triaging, marketing, mentoring, coding, public
speaking and advocacy, user interaction & UX design, etc. I am a
business developer and manager. Besides running my branding & management
consulting company, I have been serving you as president of the board
since last year. A report on activities accomplished during that time
can be found here:

With the experience gained throughout the years, I hope to continue
serving GNOME to the best of my abilities.

You can learn more about me on my personal website above.

Thank you for your consideration,
Jean-François "Jeff" Fortin Tam
foundation-announce mailing list
foundation-announce< at >

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of April, 30th, 2015

= Minutes for Friday, April 30th, 2015, 18:00 UTC =

Next meeting due on May 15th, 2015 at 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Rosanna Yuen
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Jeff Fortin
* Sriram Ramkrishna
* Tobias Mueller
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Karen Sandle…