GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of October, 20th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, October 20th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, October 27th, 2015, 19:00 UTC

== Attending ==

* Jeff F. T.
* Rosanna Yuen
* Cosimo Cecchi
* Allan Day
* Shaun McCance

== Regrets ==

* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* …

GNOME Foundation: Special Board Meeting about conference sponsorship levels, October13th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, October 13th, 2015, 15:00 UTC =

Special meeting to discuss conference sponsorship levels with GUADEC 
and GNOME.Asia organizing teams.

== Attending ==
    
 * Board
  * Allan
  * Jeff
  * Kat
  * Shaun

 * GUADEC team
  * Markus
  * Benjamin
  * Tobi

 * GNOME.Asia team
  * Max
  * BinLi
  * Emily
  * Shobha

== Regrets ==

 * Cosimo
 * Andrea

== Shaun's notes on sponsorship levels ==

Here's the last two years of sponsorship levels at GUADEC and
GNOME.Asia, along with the sponsors at those levels:

 * GUADEC 2014
  * Platinum Level: 20000 USD
   * No sponsors for this sponsorship level
  * Gold Level: 13000 USD
   * 2 sponsors (Red Hat, Google)
  * Silver level: 6500 USD
   * 2 sponsors (Igalia, SUSE)
  * Bronze level: 1300 USD
   * 4 sponsors (Ubuntu, Seafile, code.csdn.net, Gitcafe)
  * Supporter level: N/A

 * GUADEC 2015
  * Platinum Level: 15000 EUR
   * No sponsors for this sponsorship level
  * Gold Level: 10000 EUR
   * 2 sponsors (Red Hat, Google)
  * Silver level: 5000 EUR
   * 2 sponsors (Igalia, SUSE)
  * Bronze level: 2500 EUR 
   * 3 sponsors (GitCafe, Seafile, Ubuntu)
  * Supporter level: 1000 EUR
   * 3 sponsors (ownCloud, Codethink, Endocode)

 * GNOME Asia 2014
  * Platinum Level: 12000 USD
   * No sponsors for this sponsorship level
  * Gold Level: 9000 USD
   * 1 sponsor (Google)
  * Silver level: 5000 USD
   * 2 sponsors (Red Hat, SUSE)
  * Bronze level: 2500 USD
   * 2 sponsors (Firefox, Tencent)

 * GNOME Asia 2015
  * Platinum Level: 12000 USD
   * No sponsors for this sponsorship level
  * Gold Level: 9000 USD
   * No sponsors for this sponsorship level
  * Silver level: 5000 USD
   * 2 sponsors (openSUSE, Telkomindonesia)
  * Bronze level: 2500 USD
   * 1 sponsor (Kominfo)

GUADEC 2015 was listed in euros instead of dollars. By today's rates, 
the €15000 platinum level is in the ballpark of $17000.

As you can see, nobody comes in at the platinum level for either 
conference. Google and Red Hat have consistently done gold for GUADEC, 
but are spottier for GNOME.Asia.

The Karlsruhe bid is counting on €32000 in sponsorship. If we price 
exactly as in 2015, and if Google and Red Hat come in at the gold 
level, and if Igalia and SuSE come in at bronze again, and if we 
manage at least one bronze, we're good.

In dollars, but in the ballpark of GUADEC 2015:

 * Platinum, $17000
 * Gold, $12000
 * Silver, $ 7000

That gives a nice $5000 delta between each. If we keep GNOME.Asia 
levels the same as the last two years:

 * GUADEC
  * Platinum, $17000
  * Gold, $12000
  * Silver, $7000

 * Asia
  * Platinum, $12000
  * Gold, $9000
  * Silver, $5000

 * Both
  * Platinum, $29000
  * Gold, $21000
  * Silver, $12000

Now the question is, how much of a discount do we give for doing both 
at once? 10% rounded to 1000s?

 * GUADEC
  * Platinum, $17000
  * Gold, $12000
  * Silver, $7000

 * Asia
  * Platinum, $12000
  * Gold, $9000
  * Silver, $5000

 * Both
  * Platinum, $29000 - $3000 = $26000
  * Gold, $21000 - $2000 = $19000
  * Silver, $12000 - $1000 = $11000

Is that even worthwhile? Higher discount? I don't know. I've never 
done multi-event discounts before.

As for bronze, set it at some arbitrary low level, and I wouldn't 
bother offering a combined rate for it.

== Minutes ==

 * GNOME.Asia update from Max:
  * New Delhi is the venue
  * April 21st to 24th 2016
  
 * Budget and sponsorship:
  * No GUADEC platinum sponsor in the last years
  * No GNOME.Asia platinum sponsor in the last year
  * Number of sponsors have increased since we reduced the sponsorship level
  * Increasing number of Chinese sponsors for GNOME.Asia
  * Previously we have given a small discount for combined sponsorships. We could consider giving a larger discount. We haven't given a discount for bronze level in the past.
  * We are likely to make a small profit on each conference
  * It is difficult to get historical data for sponsorship prior to 2013
   * Some is available at https://wiki.gnome.org/GUADEC/PlanningHowTo/Sponsors
  * Generally companies use round numbers
  * Time scales for getting sponsorship vary by company, but there is pressure to secure sooner rather than later as budgets are set October/November time
  * Main question is whether local teams are willing to give up some dedicated income in order to promote joint sponsorship
  * We could drop the price of each sponsorship level, such as $15,000 for platinum for GUADEC and $10,000 for GNOME.Asia - we haven't had platinum sponsors for a while, and lowering the bands would give more options lower down the scale (possibly encouraging more sponsors)
  * Possibilities for local sponors for GNOME.Asia 2016? Unclear
  * We should speak to Ad Board members about the possibility of co-sponsorship
  * There might be possibilities for local GUADEC sponsorship, but it is still uncertain
   * Smaller contributions are more likely
  * Max - difficulty selling GNOME to potential sponsors (cites Korea example). Need to offer other benefits? Could offer talk slots? Sponsors may ask for information about attendees, such as email addresses. This has not been done for privacy reasons, but is not unusual in Asia.
  * General feeling from the GUADEC team is that the discount for combined sponsorship is too low. Could be something more like 20%.
  * The risk with increasing the discount - no companies jointly sponsor that wouldn't anyway.
  * Emily - it's a good idea to have a large discount for co-sponsorship. Could be used to bring GNOME.Asia sponsors to GUADEC.
  * Emily - GNOME.Asia has a rule that companies that sponsor for 3 years get a bonus of a higher sponsorship level.
  * Emily - community level sponsorship is good - there have been potential sponsors who haven't been able to afford bronze level in the past
  * GNOME.Asia team will have an IRC meeting next Tuesday, where they will discuss sponsorship
  * Annual reports are ready to be shipped - sponsorship brochure should be ready this week or early next week at the latest
  * Both local teams are happy to readjust the sponsorship levels and to offer an increased discount for cosponsorship
  * ACTION: Allan to take the sponsorship brochure forward, through the Engagement Team
  * ACTION: Allan to make the board should finalise the sponsorship levels and joint sponsorship discount, and email the organising teams for comment

== New action items ==

  * Allan to take the sponsorship brochure forward, through the Engagement Team
  * Allan to make the board should finalise the sponsorship levels and joint sponsorship discount, and email the organising teams for comment



Development: GNOME 3.19.1 unstable tarballs due

Hello all,

Tarballs are due on 2015-10-26 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.19.1
unstable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which
were proposed for inclusion should try to follow the unstable schedule
so everyone can test them. Pl…

Development: GNOME 3.18.1 released

Hi all!

Here comes our first update to GNOME 3.18, it has many fixes (several
wayland related), various improvements, documentation and translation
updates, we hope you’ll enjoy it.

We will soon publish the schedule for our next release, and a first

GNOME: GNOME.Asia Summit 2016 to be held in Delhi, India

India Gate

The GNOME Asia team is pleased to announce that next year’s GNOME.Asia Summit will be held in Delhi, at the Manav Rachna International University (MRIU). This is located in the Faridabad distract just south of the National Capital Territory (New Delhi).

GNOME.Asia 2016 will be held between the 21st and 24th of April, and will be a great place to celebrate and explore the many new features and enhancements in GNOME.

“We’re excited to bring GNOME.Asia Summit 2016 Summit to India, a country with a vast, diverse culture well as a growing IT-sector and a thriving Free Software Community.” – Shobha Tyagi, member of the local organizing team.

The GNOME Asia Committee wants to thank everyone who participated in the GNOME.Asia Summit 2016 bidding process and wish the 2016 organizing team best of luck with organizing a great conference.

[Image by Ankur via Wikimedia commons, licensed CC-BY-SA 3.0.]

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 22th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, September 22th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 29th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

* Shaun McCance
* Rosanna Yuen
* Cosimo Cecchi
* Christian Hergert
* Allan Day
* Jeff F. T.
* Ekaterina Gerasim…

Development: GNOME 3.18

The GNOME Project is proud to announce the release of GNOME 3.18,
“Gothenburg”.

This release brings significant improvements to many of our core
applications, from better Google Drive integration in Files to a list
view in Boxes to firmware updates in…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 15th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, September 15th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September ??th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

* Shaun McCance
* Rosanna Yuen
* Cosimo Cecchi
* Christian Hergert
* Allan Day
* Jeff F. T.

== Regrets ==

* E…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 01st, 2015

= Minutes for Wednesday, September 1st, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 8th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

* Shaun !McCance
* Cosimo Cecchi
* Rosanna Yuen
* Christian Hergert
* Andrea Veri
* Ekaterina Gerasimova

== Re…

5tFTW: Fedora 23 beta, conference reports and annoucements, and Atomic testing

Fedora 23 Beta coming on Tuesday Fedora Program Manager Jan Kuřík announced yesterday that Fedora 23 beta is “GO” for next week. I’m running Fedora 23 Workstation on my main desktop system (and posting this 5tFTW from there), and everything… Continue Reading →

Development: GNOME 3.18.0 newstable tarballs due (and more) (responsible: mclasen)

Hello all,

We would like to inform you about the following:
* GNOME 3.18.0 newstable tarballs due
* Hard Code Freeze ends

Tarballs are due on 2015-09-21 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.18.0
newstable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. M…

Development: GNOME 3.17.92 Release Candidate

Hello all,

Here we are, this is the end of this development cycle and here comes
a release candidate for you to download, build, and test. Enjoy it as
fast as you can, the final release is scheduled next Wednesday.

To compile GNOME 3.17.92, you can …

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of August, 26th, 2015

= Minutes for Wednesday, August 26th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 1st, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

* Shaun McCance
* JF Fortin T.
* Allan Day
* Cosimo Cecchi
* Rosanna Yuen
* Christian Hergert
* Ekaterina Gerasim…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of August, 05th, 2015 (GUADEC)

= Minutes for Wednesday, August 05th, 2015, 10:00 CEST =

Next meeting date TBD

== Attending ==
 * Shaun !McCance
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Allan Day
 * Andrea Veri

* Old board members attending:
 * Tobias Mueller

== Regrets ==
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Christian Hergert
 
 * Old board members:
  * Karen Sandler
  * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
  * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Quick round of introduction for new and old members
  * Motivations and what they'd like to see happening this year
  * Tactical evaluation of everybody's capabilities and availability for board work (a.k.a. character profiles or "specializations & interests")

 * Introspection — what went well in 2014, what didn't, and understanding the constraints the board was dealing with beneath the surface
  * Kat: The first part of the year has been very busy for the whole Board with the Groupon's legal matter
  * Kat: In the ending part of the term a few members lost interest in Board's activities as they found a new job
  * An ED kept the advisory board members in touch with the GNOME Foundation and kept them engaged with GNOME's activities
  * ACTION: Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own contacts and record them on the wiki. (Once we have these, we need to discuss how to make use of them!)
  * ACTION: start doing quarterly advisory board meetings again.
  * ACTION: complete the 2014-15 annual report.
  * ACTION: ensure that we have an ambassadorial presence at key conferences. Remind Sri to do this at the conferences he attends. Review which  conferences we should be at; organise people to attend (Christian could help with this - need to identify other individuals).
  * ACTION: Shaun to get in contact with Emily to have an hand off of the GNOME box she still owns
  * An ED was also responsible of keeping the engagement / marketing team running
   * We should find concrete tasks contributors can take care of when on the team
   * The website needs a revamp, it's important on this side that whether we want to hire a web developer to do that we should come up with a clear design and a job description
   * We should make a list of conferences we would want to have a GNOME representative on
   * Shaun: The advisory-board list appears to be useless, we should make sure to *always* mail adboard members individually
   * Tobi mentions how the board could reinvent itself, ponders about meetings form and frequency

 * Preparing the GUADEC Advisory Board Meeting
   * Christian will be arriving in the afternoon only, so will be an afternoon only meeting.
   * Attendees: Christian Schaller at noon, Scott Reeves, current board (7), Rosanna, Tobi, Sri (?)
   * ACTION: book lunch for 12:30, somewhere closer to the center, inform Christian and Scott about our lunch plan and that we'll be back at the venue for 14:00 to start the meeting.
    * VOTE: invite two representatives from Pelagicore to the GUADEC Advisory Board meeting, to invite them to present their work and entice them about joining the adboard (or sponsoring events).
     * +1 Allan, Andrea, Kat, Jeff
     * VOTE PASSED
   * ACTION: Jeff and Andrea to send out the phone numbers to adboard members dialling in

 * Policies to agree on (derived from the [[FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2009/Agenda|2009 agenda]])
  * What happens if someone goes M.I.A.? (get buy-in from everyone now before it's an issue)
    * ACTION: Jeff to check the bylaws, and if there isn't a written down rule there are probably state/fed default laws about that
  * What happens if there's no quorum for a decision:
    * A majority of of the board must be present (currently 4/7) to a meeting for the board to have voting power, and this number must remain true at the time of the voting
  * What do negative votes mean? What does silence mean?
    * Silence/abstaining means 0, as a person left the meeting at the time of the vote
    * A -1 is a vote against, but it doesn't "cancel out" a positive vote, so if there is a majority of positive votes it still passes
    * ACTION: update the wiki (DONE) - https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/NewMembersHowto

 * Review all pending action items/tasks in tasks.gnome.org
  * Discuss our preferred methodology and tooling going forward, get buy-in for whichever we choose
  * ACTION: Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using kanboard

 * Getting GUADEC 2014 videos released
  * videos.guadec.org/2014 actually has some videos
  * Professional recording for multitrack 2-3 days is normally between 20-40k, way over budget
  * a couple of us ought to approach him about that during GUADEC

 * GUADEC 2016 - review current state of bidding, how to stimulate additional bids
  * No bids yet
  * Italy is a possible bid, Andrea is waiting for Flavia's updates on this side but the proposed budget (120k) seems prohibitive
  * Dublin could be a possibility, need to look into the potential of a free venue?
  * Need to make it more attractive for local organisers.
   * ACTION: name releases after GUADEC locations.
  * Possible places to chase:
      * Berlin - Endocode (Chris, etc), Alban, 
      * Prague - Andre Klapper, John Stowers, Florian Nadge, Janac(?)
      * Seville - contact the GUADEC.es team
      * Madrid - contact the GUADEC.es team - Allan to ask Florian
      * Athens - contact the local SUSE team there
      * French Conspiracy
        * Lyon - Allan to ask Bastien, Jeff to ask Mathieu Duponchelle 
& Thibault Saunier
        * Bordeaux - Jeff to ask Étienne
        * Montpellier - Jeff to ask Edward
      * Manchester - Allan to ask Javier and Sam
      * Hamburg - Lasse
      * Munich - RH has offices there
      * Somewhere in Kosovo - Shaun to inquire
      * Aarhus (Denmark)? - Kat to talk to Bastian
      * Amsterdam
      * Nurnberg - talk search to Scott tomorrow
  * Reuse the same location throughout the years?
    * Pro: Saves on efforts/increases experience of the local organizer team, allows doing a special deal with a free venue
    * Con: Turns it into a job/recurrent committment
  * Co-locate with another conference?
      * Libreoffice?
      * GStreamer/Linuxcon?
      * FOSDEM?
      * As a fallback plan.
  * ACTION: highly visible call for bids - Engagement Team to do this
  * ACTION: board members to contact local contacts (see list above)

 * Finances
  * Income down, but expenses down
  * Any ED would need to be able to pay for themselves; add ~100-150k to the foundation's annual income
  * Should we be encouraging people to attend hackfests & other such events? Yes, that's what the Foundation is for.
  * Review Friends of GNOME
    * Works great when running targetted campaigns, but that doesn't help with general funds/operating expenses
    * ACTION: Allan and Tobi to create a list of to do items for Friends of GNOME. Then we'll do something with them, right?
  * Employee compensation proposal for Rosanna:
   * New proposed salary: 52000 USD
   * One time bonus of 5000 USD
   * Make sure COLA adjustements are taken into account by future Boards, ideally have Rosanna remind next Boards to do that
   * The Board is fine with the following proposal, Rosanna will evaluate it and get back to the Board
    * Rosanna's response: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-August/msg00056.html
     * While Rosanna appreciates the salary adaptation to COLA, she feels her work has increased a lot in the past two years without the Foundation having an ED
     * A salary raise of 120 USD per year seems to be less than her expectations
     * She asks the Board whether it would be possible to evaluate a greater salary raise
     * She commits to have perfomance reviews in place
      * Should we wait for the performance review to happen before raising the salary?
       * If we do, that's surely going to take some time
       * We also don't have benchmarks in place for these
        * An idea would be to have Rosanna to mail board-list about her activities / accomplishments
       * Kat has offered to prepare a performance review with Rosanna for the end of August, subjected to Rosanna's ack
   * 20k USD to 48K USD salary increase in 2010 when Rosanna switched to a full time position (over 100% of salary rise)
   * While we would definitely want to increase her salary we have to cope with the planned budget for the year
    * The minimum salary increase is going to be 54600 USD
   * VOTE: COLA adjustements should happen immediately (52000 USD + 5000 USD one time bonus) and COLA adjustements to happen automatically for the next years when the SS will announce new values, performance based salary raise at the beginning of the next fiscal year (1st of October), performance review to happen during this week
    * +1 unanimous
    * VOTE PASSED

 * Preparing the GUADEC Team Reports session & AGM (see https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/GUADEC/2009/Agenda to steal ideas)
  * Outgoing board member to introduce the new board and officers
  * President's opening, on crack
   * Achivements from the past year? Groupon, announce that we are officially recruiting an ED (hopefully), WHS agreement, balancing the books, high number of applicants for the board.
   * If it's your first GUADEC, please stand up. ? (Unless already done at the opening.)
  * Team reports (5 mins each, maximum): release (fred/matthias), a11y, bugsquad (andre), engagement (oliver), sysadmin (av), design (allan), i18n (Andre/Alexandre), docs (kat), friends of gnome (tobi), travel committee (kat/emily), membership committee (fabiana), outreach (lasse)
  * Finances
  * Board Q&A
  * Pants award (by the president)

 * Executive director hiring process - where are we, what next?
  * Job description - https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-July/msg00290.html
  * Hiring Committee members:
      * Sriram Ramkrishna
      * Josh Triplett
      * Karen Sandler
      * Scott Reeves
      * Matthias Clasen
      * John Sullivan
      * Jonathan Blandford
  * One of the recent problems have been what the hiring committee will be able to broadcast with candidates or not (i.e salary)
  * Another problem that arised was whether having an european candidate is actually possible
   * Should we open an entity where the possible european ED lives?
   * The person should represent GNOME at the major FOSS conferences, many are in the EU

 * Filling in for the ED - how is this going, is there anything else we should be doing?
  * Update from Sri - hiring committee is assembled and looks good, job description is done, interview questions are ready.
  * We are close to being able to publicly announce the job.

 * Privacy money from 2013 campaign
  * Kat has assembled a team to set bounties
  * ACTION: Kat to follow up

 * Officers elections
  * President
   * Nominees for the position
    * Shaun, +1 unanimous
    * Jeff, +1 Kat, Andrea, Allan
    * Allan, +1 Christian, Cosimo, Shaun
    * Shaun is the new president of the GNOME Foundation Board

  * Secretary
   * Nominees for the position
    * Andrea, +1 Allan, Jeff, Allan, Christian, Cosimo, Shaun. Andrea abstains.
    * Andrea is confirmed as the Secretary of the GNOME Foundation Board

  * Treasurer
   * Nominees for the position
    * Kat, +1 unanimous
    * Kat is confirmed as the Treasurer of the GNOME Foundation Board

  * Vice-president
   * Nominees for the position
    * Christian, +1 unanimous
    * Allan, +1 Allan, Andrea, Shaun, Cosimo
    * Jeff, +1 Allan, Andrea, Cosimo
    * Christian is the new vice-president of the GNOME Foundation Board

 * Vice-secretary
  * Nominees for the position
   * Cosimo, +1 unanimous
   * Cosimo is the new vice-secretary of the GNOME Foundation Board

-------- deferred -------
  * European funds collection

 * Legalese galore (if time allows)
  * Trademarks galore
    * New standard trademark agreement for swag
      * Hellotux variant (with details filled in to sign)
    * Trademark request for the GNOME foot in a menu on a website
    * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads)
    * New Ubuntu GNOME logotype
    * Registered mark vs TM symbol, and worldwide jurisdictions, oh my!
     * The question of international trademark registrations
    * Should we extend the trademarks to cover promotional goods?
  * Standardized contract for organizations for which we handle money

  * NDA for sysadmins

  * Photography policy

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * GNOME Summit 2015
  * Allan reached out to Colin for organizing the event in Boston
  * Colin confirmed the bookings for the venue, thanks to Walter Bender for the help on this!
  * The event will take place in Boston and will be hosted at MIT

 * New Ubuntu GNOME logo
  * The current logo is not compliant to the GNOME licensing guidelines as the GNOME foot is represented on its own
 * The Ubuntu GNOME Design team come up with a different logo which should address the issue
 * The Board is currently evaluating Ubuntu GNOME's proposal

== Completed actions ==
 * Sri to forward the HELLOTUX brand use agreement to Pam for a first review 
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure (obsolete)
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites (dropped)
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role

== Pending action items ==
 * Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using kanboard
 * Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own contacts and record them on the wiki.
 *  Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
 * Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call on the 4th
 * Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst on Annual Report
 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board
 * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a sysadmin



GNOME Foundation: GUADEC 2016 intent to bid for Karlsruhe

Hi everyone,

there is a small team of people currently working on a bid to host
GUADEC in Karlsruhe, Germany next year.

The plan is taking shape as of now, but there are still many unknowns
(the focus right now is on securing a venue). If you have an…

Development: GNOME 3.17.90 (first beta release)

Hi all,

GUADEC is now over, we had a great time in Gothenburg (special thanks
to the local organizers!) and got home in time to polish patches and
merge branches, to publish the first beta of this cycle, GNOME 3.17.90.

First beta means we have now en…

GNOME: Thanks, Gothenburg!

GUADEC is the GNOME project’s primary annual event, held every year in a different European city. This year, it was the turn of Gothenburg, Sweden. The conference brought together contributors, enthusiasts and partners from around the world for three days of talks, followed by three days of workshops (called “Birds of a Feather” sessions). It ran between the 6th and 12th of August.

Presentations covered significant developments in GNOME technologies, such as xdg-app, Builder, and new GTK+ features. There were also talks by GNOME’s partners, including SUSE, ownCloud, LibreOffice, and Endless. Recordings of these talks can be viewed on videos.guadec.org. As always, the conference was also an opportunity for contributors from around the world to meet, make plans, and have fun.

GUADEC couldn’t happen without the work of local volunteers who organize each conference, nor without the support of our sponsors. We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped to make this year’s conference such a success.

In order to recognise the achievements of this year’s GUADEC organizers, the GNOME Release Team has decided to adopt “Gothenburg” as the code name for the upcoming GNOME release, version 3.18!

GNOME is still looking for a venue for next year’s GUADEC. Check out the wiki if you would like to bring the GNOME project to your city!

Photograph by http://www.flickr.com/people/rob-sinclair/ (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0), via Wikimedia Commons.

GNOME: Happy 18th Birthday, GNOME!

Today, GNOME turns 18.

On Friday, August 15, 1997, GNOME was founded by two then-university students, Miguel de Icaza and Federico Mena Quintero. Their aim: to produce a free (as in freedom) desktop environment that is beautiful and simple to use. In September, we will welcome the release of GNOME 3.18 which continues to embody those founding principles.

Join us in celebrating GNOME’s birthday! Some ideas: wear your GNOME gear, grab drinks with GNOME friends, thank a contributor, or simply take a moment to reflect upon the significance of this day. How has GNOME impacted your life? We’d love to hear. Tweet us (@gnome), or tell us on Facebook (/GNOMEDesktop).

Spread the word and show how vibrant the GNOME community is! Please use these hashtags in your social media posts: #HappyBirthdayGnome, #IAMGNOME, #GNOME2015.

federico_mena_guadec_2015

Federico Mena Quintero at GUADEC 2015.

Photo Credit: Garret LeSage 

Happy birthday, GNOME! Now go get some drinks and cake.

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board Meeting of July, 20th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, July 20th, 2015, 17:00 UTC =

Next meeting date, Wednesday 05th of August, 10:00 AM CEST, GUADEC

== Attending ==
 * Shaun McCance
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Christian Hergert
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Allan Day

* Old board members attending
 * Sriram Ramkrishna
 * Tobias Mueller
 * Karen Sandler

== Regrets ==
 * Old board members
  * Marina Zhurakhinskaya

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads)
  * http://amazon.co.uk/Abstract-Designer-Colourful-Anti-Slip-Compatible/dp/B0080CYAD8/
  * A quick Google image search returns no other occurrences on the web at first glance
  * Mark is distorted, does not follow brand guidelines and is not associated with GNOME.
  * The use of the logo on the mouse pad has potential for confusion because it's related to computers. On the other hand, it's not actively marketed as a "GNOME mousepad" by the seller, just a picture among other choices
  * Even though we do not have a trademark registered in UK, we are still covered under UK law
  * Two ways to approach:
   * Ask to use a different logo (i.e. lose association with GNOME)
   * Ask to associate it closer with GNOME (ie respecting the trademark guidelines)
  * General consensus on the mailing list seemed to be that we need to enforce the trademark in this case
  * If we deem this an acceptable use we ought to have some sort of licensing agreement; what about royalties
  * Contact the seller first; if it doesn't work, contact Amazon as a last resort
  * Need to be very careful about how we contact the seller, there is no such thing as a casual contact over a trademark issue
  * ACTION: Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board

 * GIMP expenses for tent, camera, LGM 2015 attendance
  * References:
   * https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-July/msg00052.html
   * https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-July/msg00050.html
   * https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-July/msg00048.html
  * No objections from any member of the Board, reimbursements can be processed

 * GUADEC adboard meeting agenda (list thread - https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/private/board-list/2015-July/msg00094.html)
  * The usual duration of presentations is 10-20 mins, but in practice adboard members have the floor for however long they wish
  * The problem is getting confirmations of attendance of adboard members
   * ACTION: Jeff to pick up the phone and chase them down, forego email entirely. Might be tricky given how late this is
    * If not many attendees, position this as a short/small meeting (half day?), not a big one.
  * Current proposed agenda:
   * Wayland progress and timetable
   * xdg-app - Alex might not be able to come in to talk 
   * Builder (maybe Christian could recycle some content from his keynote?)
   * Financial situation
   * Groupon resolution and report >> already covered in a previous adboard meeting, and this topic will come up as a subtopic of the financial report anyway
   * Executive Director search
     * Most important item on the meeting as it may serve as a "nip in the bud" for criticism re the amount of work done through the year?   * Should it be a full or half day meeting?
    * General agreement that it needs to start before lunch, as the lunch is quite important when it comes to retaining adboard members. So the official answer is "We start during the morning, go to lunch, and then come back for some more discussions in the afternoon and if it ends early, it ends early and that's it."

 * Annual Report plan of action & timeline
  * Not going to get done in time for GUADEC
  * Needs to be done soon after
  * ACTION: Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst

 * Deferred until further mailing list discussion occurs from other board members (or missing info):
   * ED search
   * Discuss plans for reviewing salaries/hourly rates of employees/contractors

== Discussed on the mailing list ==
 * Travel committee budget for Apr-Sep 2015
  * Back in October the Board approved a budget of 6k USD, the amount was smaller than usual as the Groupon trademark infringement case was ongoing
  * A documentation hackfest is due to in September
  * VOTE: Allocate a budget of USD 6k to the travel committee for the period of Apr-Sep 2015
   * +1 Cosimo, Allan, Andrea, Jeff, Kat
   * VOTE PASSED

 * VOTEs on invitations letters (for GUADEC participants needing a VISA) for GUADEC 2015
  * Pranav Kant, GSoC 2014 student, Co-Speaker with Markus Mohrhard, Foundation Member
  * Siska Restu Anggraeny Iskandar, GNOME.Asia 2015
  * Su Yunqiang, referred by David King
  * Julita Inca Chiroque, GNOME Peru organizer, previous GUADEC attendances
  * Alexander Patrakov, previous GUADEC attendances, contributions to ALSA and Pulseaudio
  * VOTE regarding all the three applicants as the requests were sent as a cumulative e-mail:
   * +1 Kat, Jeff, Andrea, Allan
   * VOTE PASSED

 * GNOME at SCALE 14x
  * Drew Adams from the OpenSUSE Project reached out to the Board for organizing a possible GNOME booth at SCALE 14x

 * GNOME Summit 2015
  * A room has been booked and announced by Colin Walters at MIT
  * https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2015-July/msg00033.html

 * Code of conduct GUADEC 2015
  * The CoC for this year's GUADEC has been revised to include new code of conduct support team members
  * The CoC has been published on the GUADEC website at https://2015.guadec.org/code-of-conduct/

 * New Ubuntu GNOME logo
  * A new logo has been asked for adoption by the Ubuntu GNOME team through Alfredo Hernández
  * The current logo is not compliant to the licensing guidelines as it includes a GNOME foot (within a blue circle) on its own which should only be used to represent GNOME itself
  * The Board is currently evaluating all the possible legal implications with the new logo and no decisions have been taken as of today

 * GUADEC raffle, kindly sponsored by Endless Mobile
  * Endless will donate two computers for a raffle, one of these will be raffled between volunteers and the other between all the event participants
  * The Board would like to thank Endless and Cosimo for making all this happen!

== Pending action items ==
 * Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call on the 4th
 * Annual report:  Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst
 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a proposal to the board
 * GUADEC Adboard meeting
   * Jeff to reach out again to adboard members, past & present, to encourage them to talk to us at GUADEC
   * Allan to start drafting the agenda for that meeting through the mailing list
 * Travel committee budget: 
  * Allan to follow up and check on the status of the Boston/Montreal Summit
  * Cosimo to take the vote for the new 6k allocation for the 2nd half of this financial year to the mailing list
  * Rosanna to check that Andreas received the money for GUADEC accommodation
 * Desktop 2011 taxes: Rosanna to request KDE e.V the annotated document (circling the relevant amounts and calculations leading up to the total etc.)
 * Sri to forward the HELLOTUX brand use agreement to Pam for a first review
 * Board to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Karen to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the PayPal data extraction scripts over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Sri to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a sysadmin


GNOME: GNOME Turns 18 this Saturday

Join us in celebrating GNOME’s birthday this Saturday, August 15th.

This is a great chance to tell the world why you love GNOME, inspire others to give it a try, give back to the community, and just wish GNOME a happy birthday.

Here are some ways that we encourage you to participate in GNOME’s birthday:

Post on social media

i-am-gnome

Thank a GNOME contributor

If you know someone who contributes to GNOME, send them a thank you. It’s always nice to know you’re appreciated.

You can also adopt a hacker or become a friend of GNOME.

Show your GNOME gear

Wear or show your favorite SWAG, and see if you can get someone to ask you about GNOME. Post a selfie wearing your gear and use the hashtags above so people can see faces from our community.

Say hi to others wearing the gear, and meet other GNOMEies!

Let’s show the world how we rally, and that we’re a great community to be part of.

Happy early birthday, GNOME!