The December issue of the Joomla Community Magazine is here! Our stories this month:
JWC13: Signed, Sealed and Delivered, by Dianne Henning
So a Joomla! Guy Walks in to a WordCamp…, by Jon Neubauer
Terrifying level 92 Slayer monsters to test your mettle!
Iconic armour re-imagined as cosmetic overrides!
Together you’ve raised a massive $90K for charity!
Join the exclusive RuneScape membership club of 2014!
Tor Browser Bundle is a web browser based on Firefox ESR (Firefox with extended support), configured to protect users’ privacy and anonymity by using Tor and Vidalia, tools that come bundled with it. The bundle also includes 3 Firefox extensions: Torbutton, NoScript and HTTPS-Everywhere.When launching TorBrowser, it automatically starts the bundled Tor and Vidalia tools, […]
Linux Mint 16 “Petra”, based on Ubuntu 13.10, was released recently and is available as usual in two editions: MATE and Cinnamon. Let’s take a look at what’s new.Linux Mint 16 “Petra”Changes shared between the two main Linux Mint editions: Cinnamon and MATE.MDM, the default Linux Mint display manager has received drastic speed improvements, NumLock […]
One of the newer engine/game projects I have been following closely is Octaforge. It is basically a fork of Tesseract, which in turn is an graphic improvement project by the makers of the well known Cube2 engine.The main difference with Octaforge is th…
KDE has made available the Release Candidate of the new versions of KDE Applications and Development Platform.
Your best chance of winning six skill outfits!
Mod Mark introduces the next skill: Invention!
Mod Mark on this year’s finest festive RuneScape fare.
Linux Deepin 2013 has been released with various improvements and enhancements as well as two new applications: Deepin Terminal and Deepin Game Center.For those not familiar with Linux Deepin, this is a chinese Linux distribution (English ISO files are available as well) based on Ubuntu that ships with its own desktop environment based on Compiz […]
Quick update for Steam users: Valve has launched the “Steam Autumn Sale” and many games available for Linux (not only, obviously) can be purchased with discounts of up to 80% or maybe even more, depending on the upcoming daily deals and flash sales.As an example, here’s the discount available today for some of the most […]
Flightgear is constantly under development and as the feature freeze for the next 3.0 release approaches, it is becoming increasingly clear what the next version will have to offer to users:
The next generation scenery has finally arrived!
After long years of waiting, a new version of the world-wide scenery shipped with Flightgear is now being rolled out. This scenery makes use of CORINE data in Europe, utilizes other custom enhancements elsewhere in the world, brings new and improved airport layouts and includes roads and other line data from the Open Street Map project. Especially in the CORINE …
Not only from the clutches of Ganondorf, but also from the dominion of proprietary software. All thanks to the magnificent Solarus Engine, a GPLed, SDL-based, 2D action RPG engine. This amazing project aims to provide a stable and easily customizable p…
Help stem the turkey tide this Thanksgiving!
Shipping can sometimes feel like the bane of a small business’s your existence, but with sufficient time spent outlining a shipping game plan for the holidays, you can pull things off without a hitch. Here are 6 tips to help you avoid the rush and pull off holiday shipping:
1. Plan ahead. There’s no way to pinpoint what your holiday sales will be, but you can estimate a potential range so you have enough inventory and extra help with packing and shipping. Preparation is one of the only variables that you have complete control over as a shipper. Own it.
2. Don’t delay. Try and ship products out the same day you receive the order to keep you, your carrier and customers happy. Also remember that shipping times will vary because of the high volume over the holidays. Use this helpful printable shipping calendar from ShipWorks that will provide “ship by” dates for all the major carriers so you get it there on time.
3. Communicate in advance to customers and carriers. December 17 is “Free Shipping Day.” If free shipping isn’t a standard option for you, consider providing free shipping on the 17th as an extra incentive for customers. Also, communicate to carriers and let them know any changes you may have to your business during the holiday so that they can handle your pickups.
4. Manage customers’ expectations. During the holidays, you want your shipping terms to be more crystal clear than ever. Misunderstandings about the finer details of shipping can breed unhappy customers and take up valuable time to smooth over on your end—time that could be spent on other important tasks.
5. Pack wisely. Remember, carriers’ process more boxes during the holiday peak season than at any other time. Extra packaging is worth it to avoid possible damage en route.
6. Protect your investment. Thousands of packages will be sent this holiday season. Chances are, your packages will arrive at the destination, but you also don’t need to take undue chances. Consider using insurance on larger shipments.
ShipWorks is a Magento Gold Partner and supports Magento Enterprise and Community Editions. ShipWorks helps thousands of merchants ship more in less time by automating post-sale tasks, including processing hundreds of shipping labels with one click. Learn more
Quick update: today I’ve released Y PPA Manager 0.9.9.2 which adds support for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr and Linux Mint 16 Petra.This took a while because Linux Mint 16 ships with its own “add-apt-repository -y” command which has a bug and can’t be used with gksu or pkexec so I had to find a […]