Make VLC Automatically Save / Restore Playback Position With Srpos Plugin

VLC is a great media player but it lacks a minor, yet pretty important feature, some would say: an option to resume playback from where you left off.However, VLC supports plugins and there is one called Srpos (available for Linux and Windows) which does just that: it allows VLC to automatically save the playback position […]

Introducing the User Club: Building PrestaShop together!

Open source is our philosophy and there are many ways you can contribute to PrestaShop: Forums, Forge, GitHub, Crowdin… Now, you can get more deeply involved: Introducing the User Club. The User Club is designed so that you give direct … Read more

RuneScape Companion App: Grand Exchange

Full Grand Exchange support is available in the RuneScape Companion App. Now, you can buy and sell items on the go!

7 Pieces of Advice from Successful Internet CEOs for Ecommerce Entrepreneurs

CEOs are the driving force of a company, natural leaders dedicated to their company’s success. They determine their team’s direction and continuously grow the company. We’ve reached out to CEOs in the PrestaShop community and asked them to share some … Read more

Drupal.org Maintenance: July 8th 11:00 PDT (July 8th 18:00 UTC)

Drupal.org will be affected by maintenance Tuesday, July 8th, 11:00 PDT (July 8th, 18:00 UTC).
To finish our load balancer rebuilds, we are moving traffic from our old load balancer to our new load balancer. During this process, there may be a five min…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 17, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140617

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
* Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Joanmarie Diggs
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Emmanuele Bassi

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 3, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)


Wine 1.7.21 Released

The Wine development release 1.7.21 is now available.
What’s new in this release:

Support for critical sections in the C runtime.
Unicode data updated to Unicode 7.0.
Support for interlaced PNG encoding.
Initial stub for the Packager librar…

Development: GNOME 3.13.3

It is time for another development snapshot in the GNOME 3.14
development cycle: 3.13.3 is here. Highlights in this release include
Adwaita as the default GTK+ theme [1], network awareness in our
sharing infrastructure [2], a new design for yelp and ad…

People of KDE is back

As Michael Bohlender (known to some e.g. for his GSoC project about Kmail Active last year) needed to do some interviews for his anthropology course at the university he decided to reactive the People behind KDE series or, as they are now named, the Pe…

World Wine News Issue 371

WWN Issue 371 was released today.

AppDB/Bugzilla Status Changes

Drupal 6 extended support announcement

On February 13, 2008, Drupal 6 was released. The policy of the community is to support only the current and previous stable versions. (When Drupal 6 was released, Drupal 4.7.x was marked unsupported. When Drupal 7 came out, Drupal 5.x was marked un…

GNOME Foundation: GNOME Board of Directors Elections 2014 – Final Results

Hello Foundation,

The preliminary results for this year’s elections were not challenged.
This means, in the next term, our Board of Directors will be composed
of the following Foundation members:

Sriram Ramkrishna
Ekaterina Gerasimova
Karen Sandler
T…

PrestaShop 1.6.0.7 is Now Available to Update

Hello PrestaShop Community! The latest update to 1.6 is here! 1.6.0.7 is now released with more awesomeness. We didn’t forget to squash some bugs and clean up. Here are the main improvements in this update.   Improved cart summary and … Read more

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of May 20th, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140520

= Minutes for Tuesday, May 20th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
* Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Andreas Nilsson
* Marina Zhurakhinskaya
* Tobias Mueller

KDE Commit-Digest for 4th May 2014

In this week’s KDE Commit-Digest:
KDE-PIM sees huge performance improvement for POP3 users with large maildirs
KAddressbook adds a category filter
Krita implements support for more types of palettes
Also in Calligra, Docx export filter has partial supp…

KDE Commit-Digest for 27th April 2014

In this week’s KDE Commit-Digest:
Umbrello adds find text in tree view, current diagram and all diagrams feature
KDE Telepathy can share images over common image sharing networks
Sflphone-kde adds security evaluation framework with GUI
Punctuation data…

OpenXcom hits 1.0

We have previously mentioned OpenXcom on several occasions before, but now the massive UFO: Enemy Unknown engine reimplementation project finally hit the long-awaited 1.0 mark, and they decided to celebrate by releasing this lovely trailer that sums up…

Randa Meetings Interview One: Cristian Oneț


Cristian Oneț

This is one of our first interviews with the excited attendees of the Randa meetings and today you shall get a glimpse into the mind, workings and makings of Cristian Oneț who has been with KDE since quite some time now and has been a prominent contributor.

Could you describe yourself in a few lines and tell us where you’re from?

My name is Cristian Oneț, I’m a software developer. I live in Timișoara, Romania. At my day job I work on developing/maintaining a suite of desktop applications on Windows (using Qt lately). I’m also a member of the KMyMoney development team.

How did you first chance upon KDE? Could you describe your journey in short?

My first contact with KDE was back in the 3.x days (I think it was 3.2). I was just starting to get familiar with Linux (first years at the Computer Science Faculty) and I was looking for a desktop that looked and felt good. KDE’s workspace was my pick then and it stayed that way ever since.

Why is KDE so special to you?

It’s the most visible part of my computer. By using it and contributing to its improvement it allowed me to grow as a developer. It feels good to be able contribute to something you find useful and to do it in a fun way.

Will this be your first time in Randa?

Yes it’s my first time.

When did you first hear about the meetings in Randa and why do you wish to be a part of it?

I’ve heard about previous meetings in Randa from reading Planet KDE. I didn’t really think that I’ll ever participate but this year I was contacted by Mario Fux with the proposal to help port KMyMoney to KF5. After a short exchange of e-mails I decided that it would be nice to be there.

Which specific area of KDE software do you contribute to? Could you give a brief overview?

I’m a part of the team that develops KMyMoney the KDE personal finances manager application. I also had small contributions (mostly small patches) in other parts of KDE software (kdepim, kdelibs), most of these were fixes for problems that I encountered using KDE software or developing KMyMoney. Last but not least, I also contributed with Romanian translations since I believe that software should be properly internationalized.

As a KMyMoney developer one of the biggest task that I contributed to was porting it to KDE Platform 4. This was a great chance to get familiar with Qt’s MVC programming. That period was one of the biggest wave of development on the project lately. After porting the application to KDE Platform 4 the port to Windows followed. That was also fun since I got to know some KDE Windows project members on the way.

How do you manage to balance your job and contribution to KDE?

I try to do both in a way that makes me happy with the work I’m doing. My KDE contribution can keep me happy as a developer which is not always possible at my job. There is also a limit to what I can do when it comes to contribution and if the time’s consumed by my job I can’t really contribute much. I’m usually productive as an Open Source contributor after my summer holiday. Contributions are also influenced by the feedback of the community and the development team. I find that it is usually easier to fix problems that effect a lot of people.

You work on the windows platform during your job and have an in-depth understanding of it. But you prefer to use Linux as your primary OS. Could you give us a few reasons why someone should make the switch to Open Source?

Yes, I always preferred Linux but that preference is pretty influenced by the way I relate to computers. I think that anyone who desires freedom of information should use Open Source, but of course, this is a disputable statement. The counter argument would be that one is only free if he has the knowledge and time to fix stuff that’s broken. It’s nice that the knowledge is out there but that does not really help somebody who just needs things to work.

I came a long way learning about computers by using Linux (Gentoo Linux that is) and I’m thankful for that. Still, I find myself once in a while after an update mumbling about some stuff that just broke because somebody thought it should be re-written from scratch. Not trying to send forth a wrong message, I know that there are problems on other platforms as well but on Linux they tend to be more frequent (probably caused by the faster release cycles). That’s when the freedom to change stuff gets handy.

As a person who has been with KDE since his student days; what would your advice be to the students who are currently contributing to KDE to keep them motivated to continue development when they start working on a fully fledged job?

I would advise them to do what they enjoy doing. If they enjoy contributing to Open Source now then that probably won’t change and they will keep doing it after they have a job. If they really enjoy Open Source they could be looking for a job on an Open Source project if they have the opportunity. Meeting the people they work with in Open Source could be also creating a kind of connection that would keep them contributing even when they have less free time in the future. Last but not least Open Source can be a kind of “escape” where one can really do the things they like when there is no such freedom at a job.


The Randa Meetings organizers use KMyMoney for their finances.

Since you are working on KMyMoney on both Windows and Linux could you describe the particulars of the development process in both and which one you prefer to work on?

I only developed KMyMoney on Linux, on Windows I only work on platform specific issues. But I can compare the two development platforms using the experience I have in C++ development on Windows at my job. My opinion is that except for the debugger; the tools on Linux are much more developer friendly. I use KDevelop, I love it’s syntax highlighting, symbol navigation and documentation features but it still crashes once in a while (mainly while switching branches in Git). It’s great to edit code but the integration with gdb does not seem so smooth as Microsoft Visual Studio’s debugger. Code highlighting and navigation can also be improved on Windows with some add-ons. I have heard a lot about Qt Designer but I really like KDevelop and I can live with the debugger (it works 90 % of the time).

The KDE Platform is still pretty unstable on Windows and this was causing a lot of issues with the deployment once the application was ported. I guess this is caused by the fact that KDE software is mainly developed on Linux. The KDE on Windows team did a great job of trying to patch things to make them work on Windows but it seems it’s hard to keep up with the pace KDE software is being developed. That’s why, once we had our hands on a good KDE Windows release (that was 4.10.5 but it still needed custom patches), we stuck with it in the standalone installer that we provide. I would like KDE to focus on making the platform more stable than always looking at the next big thing in UI design.

I think that on Windows users only care about applications, if they would like to use the whole desktop they would definitely switch to Linux.

So the answer to your question is: I prefer to develop on Linux but I would also like the framework to be cross platform and so I would like to contribute to improve this situation.

Have you got anything in particular planned for Randa?

As I mentioned earlier hopefully I will be able to finish my task of porting KMyMoney to KF5 as well as meet KDE Windows project members, learn how KF5 will improve packaging on Windows and have fun while doing all that.

What will you be looking forward to the most in the Randa Sprint? Any expectations or hopes of what it will be like? Any particular people or projects you are looking to collaborate on/with in Randa? Any targets set on completing with respect to development?

The most interesting will be meeting the people that attend. I would start with some KDE Windows project members since I’ve been working with some of them while we ported KMyMoney to Windows. Packaging on Windows is still pretty hard so I would expect this to be improved. I would like to discuss about this and see if I could contribute since I’m at home in C++ development on Windows (it’s my job).

What does KDE mean to you and what role has it played in shaping you as a contributor/developer?

It’s my desktop of choice which I’ve been using for more than 10 years now. I really enjoy working with KDE/Qt as a developer since I think both have some of the most well designed API in the world of C++ frameworks/libraries. Since we use Qt at my job it was pretty useful to have previously worked with it.

Why do you think Meetings such as Randa are very important for KDE and for Open Source communities around the globe?

I’ve participated only once at a KDE related developer meeting. It was the KDE Finances Sprint in 2010. I felt that it was really nice that I could meet the people I was working with face to face. Such a meeting can create different kind of connections than an acquaintance using the usual (e-mail, irc) communication channels.

Why do you think supporting them is of importance and how has the support helped you as a KDE developer and an Open Source contributor?

Building on my previous answer I think that it’s important to build well knit teams. People who meet in person work better together, at least that is the experience I’ve had while working on KMyMoney.  Our meeting gave the team a big boost so if KDE is to move forward at a good pace it needs to encourage and support developer meetings. As for me as a developer it was a real pleasure to get to know my colleagues who came from different parts of the world to see the similarities and the differences between us.

Could you briefly describe a rough outline of what you’d imagine your typical day in Randa this time around to be?

I guess it will be similar to the days we had at the KDE Finances sprint. After breakfast meetings, lunch then meetings again then some socializing over a beer in the evening.

Is this your first time to Switzerland? Are you excited about being in another country?

Yes, I’ve never been to Switzerland before, being able to visit it was one of the reasons I’ve decided to attend the meeting. At first I’ve declined since the period was overlapping with my family holiday but after I found out that it would be OK to spend a few days working at the meeting and the rest I could spend with my wife (we will be there together) I’ve decided to go.

Thanks a lot, Cristian, for your time for the interview and dedication to KMyMoney and the KDE community.

Please support us in the organization of the Randa Meetings 2014.

Dot Categories:

Wine 1.7.20 Released

The Wine development release 1.7.20 is now available.
What’s new in this release:

X11 drag & drop fixes.
A few more C/C++ runtime functions.
Fixes for various memory issues found by Valgrind.
Some OLE storage fixes.
Various bug fixes….