Solomon’s General Store – Player-Designed Pet

Your entries came in droves and we’ve finally picked a winner! Read on to discover the winner of our Player-Designed Pet Competition and the introduction of our

Joomla Community Magazine | July 2014

JCM July 2014

The July issue of the Joomla Community Magazine is here! Our stories this month:

Editors Introduction

Goooaaal Joomla!

Feature Stories

Thanks to the Joomla! Event Travel (JET) Program
Time to get to WORK!
Joomla! Pride
Report from JoomlaDay Moscow 2014

Events

Roundup from JUG Corner – June 2014
Upcoming Joomla! Events
Joomla Developer Conference – August 7-8

Developers

The Developer’s Balancing Act
Why the Poor Old Singleton was Banned

Sitebuilders

Practical use of Microdata in Joomla! 3 and 2.5
Benefits of Using Pirated Joomla Extensions

Administrators

Website Monitoring, Backup, and Two Cups of Coffee

Google Summer of Code

The Value of Value Objects
Current Status of Web Driver System Test Suite of Joomla! CMS
SQL Optimization Project for Joomla CMS (Status Update)

Joomla! in the Press/Media

Nominate Joomla! for the CMS Critic’s People’s Choice Award!

International Stories

Français

Cum munus – J and Beyond 2014
Utiliser SobiPro en tant que CCK
Robots.txt : optimisation SEO et sécurité
Mon premier JoomlaDay
Pratique d’utilisation des Microdata dans Joomla! 3 et 2.5

Italian

Impressioni dal “Joomla and Beyond 2014″

Portuguese (Brazil)

Google Page Insights para otimizar o carregamento do Joomla
Hora de trabalhar!

Spanish

Bienvenido Julio
Dando soporte a extensiones Joomla!
Usando SobiPro como CCK
Experiencia en el J And Beyond 2014
Tutorial: Gantry, módulos izquierda y derecha con diferentes anchos

In our next issue

We want to publish your Joomla! story in the next JCM issue! So take a look at our Author Resources content to get a better idea of what we are looking for, and then register to become a JCM author and submit your Joomla! story!

DevCorner: GameDevelop goes open-source

Thanks to GamingOnLinux for pointing out that this crossplattform *no-programming* 2D game development suite has gone fully FOSS.It can export games to HTML5 and native code (x86 Linux and Windows).Read the original announcement here. The github reposi…

CoM Hosts Map Making Contest

In celebration of the five year anniversary (It’s really been five years?! Time flies!) of 0 A.D. going open source the Council of Modders are hosting a map making contest! Please head over to the forum topic to read more about the rules and rewards, and to submit your maps of course

Behind the Scenes – July 2014

Legacy Mode, a terrifying arachnid boss who drops level 90 two-handed weapons, Twitch integration and more are coming to RuneScape this July.

Treasure Hunter – Lucky Clover Necklaces

Are you feeling lucky? Grab your lucky clover necklace, only in Treasure Hunter, for your chance to win big prizes, including some rares!

Make VLC Automatically Save / Restore Playback Position With Srpos Plugin

VLC is a great media player but it lacks a minor, yet pretty important feature, some would say: an option to resume playback from where you left off.However, VLC supports plugins and there is one called Srpos (available for Linux and Windows) which does just that: it allows VLC to automatically save the playback position […]

Introducing the User Club: Building PrestaShop together!

Open source is our philosophy and there are many ways you can contribute to PrestaShop: Forums, Forge, GitHub, Crowdin… Now, you can get more deeply involved: Introducing the User Club. The User Club is designed so that you give direct … Read more

RuneScape Companion App: Grand Exchange

Full Grand Exchange support is available in the RuneScape Companion App. Now, you can buy and sell items on the go!

7 Pieces of Advice from Successful Internet CEOs for Ecommerce Entrepreneurs

CEOs are the driving force of a company, natural leaders dedicated to their company’s success. They determine their team’s direction and continuously grow the company. We’ve reached out to CEOs in the PrestaShop community and asked them to share some … Read more

Drupal.org Maintenance: July 8th 11:00 PDT (July 8th 18:00 UTC)

Drupal.org will be affected by maintenance Tuesday, July 8th, 11:00 PDT (July 8th, 18:00 UTC).
To finish our load balancer rebuilds, we are moving traffic from our old load balancer to our new load balancer. During this process, there may be a five min…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 17, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140617

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
* Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Joanmarie Diggs
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Emmanuele Bassi

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 3, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)


Wine 1.7.21 Released

The Wine development release 1.7.21 is now available.
What’s new in this release:

Support for critical sections in the C runtime.
Unicode data updated to Unicode 7.0.
Support for interlaced PNG encoding.
Initial stub for the Packager librar…

Development: GNOME 3.13.3

It is time for another development snapshot in the GNOME 3.14
development cycle: 3.13.3 is here. Highlights in this release include
Adwaita as the default GTK+ theme [1], network awareness in our
sharing infrastructure [2], a new design for yelp and ad…

People of KDE is back

As Michael Bohlender (known to some e.g. for his GSoC project about Kmail Active last year) needed to do some interviews for his anthropology course at the university he decided to reactive the People behind KDE series or, as they are now named, the Pe…

World Wine News Issue 371

WWN Issue 371 was released today.

AppDB/Bugzilla Status Changes

Drupal 6 extended support announcement

On February 13, 2008, Drupal 6 was released. The policy of the community is to support only the current and previous stable versions. (When Drupal 6 was released, Drupal 4.7.x was marked unsupported. When Drupal 7 came out, Drupal 5.x was marked un…

GNOME Foundation: GNOME Board of Directors Elections 2014 – Final Results

Hello Foundation,

The preliminary results for this year’s elections were not challenged.
This means, in the next term, our Board of Directors will be composed
of the following Foundation members:

Sriram Ramkrishna
Ekaterina Gerasimova
Karen Sandler
T…

PrestaShop 1.6.0.7 is Now Available to Update

Hello PrestaShop Community! The latest update to 1.6 is here! 1.6.0.7 is now released with more awesomeness. We didn’t forget to squash some bugs and clean up. Here are the main improvements in this update.   Improved cart summary and … Read more