Linux Mint 17: Fresh and Long-Lasting

Linux Mint 17, dubbed “Qiana,” is one of the best releases from this community since Linux Mint 13 arrived in 2012 with the Cinnamon desktop. Qiana is filled with extensive improvements and embellishments to all five desktop editions. It is available in Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE, Mate and LMDE. Regardless of which desktop you favor, the core improvements are well worth the upgrade.

Drupal.org Maintenance: July 8th 11:00 PDT (July 8th 18:00 UTC)

Drupal.org will be affected by maintenance Tuesday, July 8th, 11:00 PDT (July 8th, 18:00 UTC).
To finish our load balancer rebuilds, we are moving traffic from our old load balancer to our new load balancer. During this process, there may be a five min…

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 17, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140617

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
* Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
* Joanmarie Diggs
* Ekaterina Gerasimova
* Emmanuele Bassi

GNOME Foundation: Minutes of the Board meeting of June 3, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)


VNC Server Installation on CentOS 6.5

VNC Server Installation on CentOS 6.5
This guide explains how to configure VNC-server in CentOS 6.5 server. It is a very convinient way of administrating the CentOS 6.5 with the help of GUI(Graphics User Interface). The GUI can be access any where with…

Akademy-es 2014: Great success in KDE’s return to Málaga

The ninth edition of Akademy-es was held last month in Málaga at the Telecommunications School of University of Málaga. Akademy-es had never been held in the city before but it is where the idea of Akademy-es began, during Akademy 2005, resulting in the first Akademy-es in 2006 in Barcelona. KDE old timer Antonio Larrosa is the link between both editions, being the local organizer of Akademy-es 2014 and Akademy 2005.

This year Akademy-es has continued its upwards trend in people registered, ending up with around 100 people. Talks as always have been varied, including philosophical talks about what KDE is, technical ones about how to use ASAN to debug your apps, practical ones on how to make your computer and your [Android] phone work better together, some programming with an introductory QtQuick talk (in English!), and much more.

Besides the serious talks there was always time for some socializing, an important part these kind of conferences.
Specially interesting was Saturday dinner at La Casa Invisible where we met a group of people that like KDE is investing lots of time in helping society for the greater good.

Finally, please join KDE España in thanking our sponsors Digia, Opentia, openSUSE and Wabobo for helping make Akademy-es 2014 possible.

Dot Categories:

SME Server 9.0 Adds Support for Windows 8 Domain Joining

The SME Server 9.0 Linux operating system was revealed on June 29 by the non-profit Koozali Foundation, Inc. corporation, through the announcement posted by Ian Wells on the project’s mailing list. First of all, we should mention that this SME Server release is dedicated in the memory of Chris Burnat, who passed away on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. He was a strong supporter of this CentOS Linux distribution, and without him SME Server 9.0 would not have happened. The official announcemen…

KDE Commit-Digest for 11th May 2014

In this week’s KDE Commit-Digest:
Clang backend of KDevelop gains basic implementation of adjust signature assistant
Kscreen KCM has been rewritten; the interface has two parts: a view with monitors that can be dragged around to reposition screens, and…

Development Release: Simplicity Linux 14.7 Beta

David Purse has announced the availability of the beta release of Simplicity Linux 14.7, a Puppy-based distribution with LXDE as the preferred desktop: "Simplicity Linux 14.7 beta has been released. You can find the ‘Desktop’ edition here and the ‘Netbook’ edition. There is no X edition in our….

Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” Cinnamon and MATE Flavors Get Second Release with Major Fixes

Clement Lefebvre, the leader of the Linux Mint project, has announced that ISO images for the Cinnamon and MATE editions of Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” have been updated and marked as “v2″.Linux Mint 17 “Qiana” was released only a month ago, but in all that time some important issues have been fixed by the developers. In order to make the life of the users a little bit easier, the Linux mint devs have decided to regenerate the ISO images with the new fixes.According to …

Valve Updates SteamOS With the Latest NVIDIA, AMD, and Intel Drivers

The Beta version of SteamOS, a Debian-based distribution developed by Valve to be used in its hybrid PC / console, has just received an update and numerous packages.Valve has two builds for SteamOS. One is a stable version (sort of) and the other one is a Beta (Alchemist). The two versions are not all that different from one another, but the Valve developers are using the Beta release to test some of the new updates before they hit the stable branch.According to the changelog, the NVIDIA drive…

May the source be with you

I’m a big advocate of the phrase, “Release Early, Release Often.” I think it is by far the best way to keep or gain community interest in a project.Of course, that simple phrase doesn’t quite sum up what you actually must do – simply uploading a releas…

Distribution Release: Robolinux 7.5.4

John Martinson has announced the release of Robolinux 7.5.4, a new update of the project’s Debian-based distribution that comes with a pre-configured VirtualBox for running Windows as a "guest" operating system: "We’ve been listening to our user base and have delivered many popular upgrades plus expert tech support….

Two factor authentication with OTP using privacyIDEA and FreeRADIUS on CentOS

Two factor authentication with OTP using privacyIDEA and FreeRADIUS on CentOS
In this howto we will show, how you can set up a the two factor authentication and management system privacyIDEA on Cent OS 6.5. privacyIDEA is a system that can manage authe…

Randa Meetings Interview Three: Vedant Agrawal

Vedant Agarwala
Thanks again for your further support of the Randa Meetings fundraising. We have now reached almost 40% of the our goal and there is still time to go. Please help even more and spread the word. If we reach our goal we can have an even m…

Wine 1.7.21 Released

The Wine development release 1.7.21 is now available.
What’s new in this release:

Support for critical sections in the C runtime.
Unicode data updated to Unicode 7.0.
Support for interlaced PNG encoding.
Initial stub for the Packager librar…

Preview: Running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0 In Amazon’s EC2 Cloud

For those in need of a quick and easy place to experiment and trial Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0, which was released as stable earlier this month, it’s easy to do so within Amazon’s Elastic Compute Cloud. It’s running well using a Xen HVM instance and so I have run some preliminary benchmarks against SUSE […]

Legacy Mode Beta – Update, 27th June

This Legacy beta update corrects fast item switching and introduces a bunch more old animations, plus tons of fixes. Log in now and give it a try!

Some new Special Editions

Just a quick note to bring your attention to some new Special Editions from Brian and Patrick:   http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-BL01/ —- http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-py07/ —- http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-py08/ —- http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-py09/   Read more at Full Circle

Development Release: Oracle Linux 7 RC

Chris Kawalek has announced the availability of the release candidate for Oracle Linux 7, a distribution rebuilt from source code of the recently released Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7: "It’s an exciting day for the Oracle Linux team because the Oracle Linux 7 release candidate is now available….