New Case studies section on Drupal.org

The new Case studies section on Drupal.org has been built and launched. You may not have noticed, since the look of the homepage hasn’t changed, but the case studies have a new home with a new look. This has been a multi-layered effort involving the Drupal Association web team and several community volunteers.

Only local images are allowed.

Now we need some great new case study content. We’re looking to feature Drupal sites that have one or more of these qualities:

  • Well-maintained
  • Visually appealing custom theme
  • Stand out for performance optimization, interaction, customization, accessiblity or third-party integration
  • Positive and inspiring examples for business owners, site builders and developers to learn from

You can help by writing a case study on your own impressive project, or volunteer your time as a reviewer of case studies.

Why write a case study?

Here’s a few reasons:

  • Promote a great Drupal site; show the world what Drupal can do
  • Recognize your team members for their hard work
  • Recognize maintainers of the contributed modules that you’ve used
  • Excellent case studies can be promoted to the Featured section and appear on the front page of Drupal.org!

To get started, go to http://drupal.org/case-studies. From here you can see the types of sites that have been promoted, check out the case study guidelines, and submit your own case study.

Help us maintain case studies

The Case studies section (as is most Drupal.org content) maintenance is handled by volunteers. You don’t need to be a programmer or have special knowledge to help out with case studies, just have good judgement and English language/grammar skills.

Regular tasks include:

  • Write case studies for your own projects or for others
  • Find Drupal sites that deserve to be featured on Drupal.org
  • Review requests to be promoted to Featured, suggesting improvements as needed, e.g.
    • copy improvements
    • taxonomy terms
    • screenshots
  • review Community case studies for adherence to case study guidelines, as well as for spam posts and comments

Useful links:

Guidelines for writing a case study: http://drupal.org/node/1588136
Guidelines for case study promotion review: http://drupal.org/node/1617960
Requests for promotion to Featured section have a tag case study promotion, just open issue queue and start reviewing!

If you have questions or need some guidance – come to #drupal-marketing IRC channel on Freenode.

Case study sprint at DrupalCamp Brighton

If you happen to be at the DrupalCamp Brighton this weekend, join case study sprint on Sunday.

Attachment Size
CaseStudiesdrupalorg-1.jpg 61.93 KB
case-studies-screen.png 334.6 KB

git.drupal.org Scheduled Downtime Friday, September 14, 10:00 PDT (Sept 14 1700 UTC)

We will be taking git.drupal.org down (ssh, http and git:// protocol access) for 30 minutes starting at 10AM PDT (1700 UTC) September 14th. This maintainence window is for updating our git daemon to support updated security features. Please follow the …

Drupal 7.15 released

Update: Drupal 7.16 is now available.
Drupal 7.15, a maintenance release with numerous bug fixes (no security fixes) is now available for download. See the Drupal 7.15 release notes for a full listing.

Download Drupal 7.15
Upgrading your existing Drup…

Documentation Team Second Quarter 2012 Update

Hello from Jennifer, your outgoing Drupal Documentation Team leader! As I step down as leader of the Documentation team, I wanted to make one last quarterly status update post for the Documentation Team.

Leadership Change

People in the Drupal project are currently exploring Drupal community governance, and among the questions they’ll be thinking about are the leadership and structure of the Documentation Team — so expect an announcement sometime soon! In the meantime, I’m not going to be hosting Documentation Office Hours, but if someone else wants to schedule an Office Hours, go ahead and post an event to the Documentation groups.drupal.org page.

Milestones, Accomplishments, and Projects in progress

  • Lots of content was updated on Drupal.org this quarter. Of particular note:
    • The Accessibility team worked on updating documentation at a sprint in Montreal, including the Creating accessible themes section, and the best practices on accessibility for site builders page.
    • The Multilingual team updated both in-code API documentation and on-line Community documentation for Drupal’s multi-lingual system.
    • The Mobile team organized and created a Mobile guide.
    • I’m sure there are other notable updates that I didn’t mention specifically — 921 different contributors made more than 5000 revisions to documentation pages on Drupal.org this quarter — thanks to everyone who made an edit or created new documentation!
  • There’s a new Community Documentation Moderator group! These dedicated individuals will be overseeing the Community Documentation, and doing tasks that the general Drupal community members do not have the permissions to do (deleting comments, making edits on locked pages, creating URL aliases and redirects, etc.). I’d like to especially thank Boris/batigolix for joining the Moderator group and dealing with so many Documentation project issues in the past few weeks — I’m sure he’d appreciate some help though, so please join him! (Responsibilities and instructions for how to get started: http://drupal.org/node/1588928)
  • The API documentation cleanup sprint from last quarter has continued into this quarter, and a lot of progress has been made! The goal is to bring the Drupal 7 and 8 core API documentation much more in line with our documentation standards. To join in, visit the issue page. There is also a related sprint for general PHP coding standards at http://drupal.org/node/1518116
  • Work on the proposed Curated/Official Docs and Help system has picked up! We have an issue to track progress on building the system, and Google Summer of Code participant Gergely Tamás Kurucz (temaruk) is working on a major component this summer. WorldFallz has also just volunteered to work on the workflow piece of the project, so hopefully around the end of the summer, we’ll be able to deploy the first phase of the system, and start writing “official/curated” documentation. But we will still need some programming help — check the tracking issue for more details.
  • The “Books about Drupal” section is being revised to have a new content type and a View, instead of being a set of flat HTML pages. Lowell/LoMo has been working on that, and we hope to get it finished and deployed on Drupal.org in the next few weeks. Issue: http://drupal.org/node/1487988
  • Many members of the Drupal documentation team collaborated last quarter on proposing an update to the sidebar navigation for the Community Documentation. We reached consensus that we would like to have +/- expand/contract ability on the sidebar, so that people searching for documentation could more easily drill down into the book structure to find pages of interest. But we need some help: evaluating existing modules to see if they will work for us, and if not, building a module that will. If you’d like to help, the issue is: http://drupal.org/node/1508832
  • The API module (the module behind http://api.drupal.org, the programmer API documentation reference site) has been ported to Drupal 7. I did the primary port, and several people contributed by testing it out and/or posting patches for bugs they found. api.drupal.org should be running Drupal 7 sometime soon! The next new features planned for the site are to get more contributed modules visible, make it work correctly with PHP namespaces (which are extensively being used in Drupal 8), and replace the hard-to-maintain Form API reference with an automatically-generated page (and in-code comments). If you’d like to help with these efforts, check the API module issue queue.

Next Steps

If you’re interested in helping with Drupal documentation:

DrupalCon São Paulo Updates and Call for Session Proposals

Olá! Join Drupal project founder Dries Buytaert and core committer Angie Byron this December 6-8 in beautiful Brazil to bring a little Carnaval to Drupal. DrupalCon São Paulo will focus primarily on content for Drupal developers, but there will of course be plenty to offer for designers, themers, project managers, architects, engineers, and those involved with the business side of Drupal. The multi-lingual conference program will feature a sessions in English, Portuguese and Spanish, as well as plenty of opportunities for informal “Birds of a Feather” meetings and a coder lounge that will be open throughout the conference.

Small and intimate, we expect DrupalCon São Paulo to capture the feel of early DrupalCons. Our goal is to make it easier for attendees to meet the people that are deeply involved in the Drupal community and find out how to become involved themselves.

Sprinters wanted!

DrupalCon São Paulo immediately follows the Drupal 8 feature freeze deadline. There will be a hosted sprint focused on getting D8 features polished for core. Lead by Angie Byron and other key core contributors, this will be a dedicated day for crafting code, preparing APIs and tidying the documentation. There will be plenty for everyone to do, and it’s a great time to get involved to help make D8 the best version of Drupal yet. All hands on deck!>

Submit Your Session Proposal Now!

Share what you know and choose your lingo! We are actively soliciting session proposals in Portugese, Spanish, and/or English. Learn more and submit your session proposal today! Tracks that will be offered at DrupalCon São Paulo include:

  • Coding + Development
  • Backend + Webservices
  • Frontend Theming, Design + User Experience
  • Business + Strategy
  • more to be announced!

Important Dates

Please note that all deadlines are 11:59PM BRT (UTC-3)

  • Call for session proposals opens: June 28, 2012
  • Call for session proposals closes: August 24, 2012

Other Cool Stuff

Drupal.org Scheduled Downtime Monday, July 2 at 6:00 PM PDT (July 3 01:00 UTC)

On Monday, July 2 from 6:00 PM to 6:30 PM PDT (01:00 to 01:30 UTC), drupal.org will be briefly brought down for updates. The main website, drupal.org, will be inaccessible, as will SSH-based access, both read and write, to all Git repositories hosted o…

Drupal Global Training Days This Friday, June 22

Drupal Global Training Days is this Friday, June 22! This is a day where training companies around the world will introduce new and beginning users to Drupal through half day, full day and virtual sessions. More than sixteen training companies representing Asia Pacific, North America, Europe, South America (and two online!) are signed up to participate on June 22. The Drupal Association launched this program of free or low cost training events to provide an easy way for new users to be introduced to Drupal and our wonderful Drupal community.

The June 22 Drupal Global Training Days will be offered with one of two curriculums:

  • “Introduction to Drupal,” a full day training on the basics of Drupal. Attendees will leave having successfully built a Drupal site. It is ideal for those interested in exploring Drupal as a career path.
  • “What is Drupal?” This half-day workshop will address the basics of Drupal, and will give an overview to those interested in evaluating or implementing Drupal.

For a listing of all training locations across the globe: http://drupal.org/learn-drupal. Upcoming dates include September 14 and December 14, 2012.

Help us spread the word

Help introduce a new user to Drupal by tweeting and blogging about these events! Use #learndrupal and spread the word about course(s) near you. A sample tweet: June 22nd is #Drupal Global Training Day! http://drupal.org/learn-drupal Come learn about the best open source CMS system #learndrupal!

If you are a trainer and would like join in on the future Drupal Global Training Days on September 14 and December 14, 2012 get in touch today.

Thank you to those of you participating in expanding the Drupal community and helping others Learn Drupal on June 22!

Drupal Security Team update – June 2012

This post aims to share information about the Drupal Security Team in 2011 and midway through 2012. The team processed a significant number of security advisories, added a few members, improved the free education materials in the handbooks, presented at dozens of camps and user groups, and made several improvements to our workflow (including some user facing changes, see below).

Some quick numbers:

You may notice that for the calendar year of 2011 there were fewer SAs than there were issues created. There are lots of reasons why that happens (mostly invalid issues or issues that affect versions not supported by our policy).

Improved security issue reporting process

This change is so exciting that it deserves its own section in addition to being listed below. The “Report a Security Issue” link on project pages now links directly to the security.drupal.org issue queue for that project. Using that link instead of sending an e-mail removes one of the final “copy/paste” jobs from the security team’s workflow.

We plan to always monitor security@drupal.org for issue submissions as well because that is a standard tool and we want to keep the barrier for reporters as low as possible. In January of 2012 there were 617 non-spam emails sent to that list and thousands of total e-mails which we have to moderate manually. So please remember: using the queue directly instead of emailing keeps us focused on our most important tasks.

Improvements to the team workflow

At events through the year like Drupalcon Chicago and BADCamp, several team members worked in sprints to improve the tools on Security.Drupal.org.

The Security Team process has historically been heavily reliant on email communication between the researchers reporting issues, the team, and drupal.org module/theme maintainers (see a recent high-level infographic on the team’s process). All three groups of people in that chain are volunteers who have other demands, so the e-mail communication was a common source of slowdown in progress toward issue resolution. While we created a private issue tracker in October of 2006 we were still reliant on private emails for much of the workflow. Many of the improvements below address this set of problems.

This work resulted in a number of positive outcomes for the team workflow.

  • Added a CCK content type for the creation of Security Advisories and a tab that formats this information so it can be pasted directly into the post on drupal.org. This provides contextual help to project maintainers as they create the SA and reduces the time spent writing the HTML for the advisory.
  • Comment ACL was deployed to security.drupal.org, allowing the team to invite the issue reporter, project maintainer, and interested parties to help work toward resolution of issues in the private queue without seeing other security isuses. This fixed the number 1 slow point in our process (discussion on a mailing list and individual emails that had to be relayed back to the security issue queue).
  • We added a Content Type for creating security advisories and added a custom callback to format the results for copying/pasting into the announcements on drupal.org. This removed difficulty from the second most manual and cumbersome part of the process.
  • Created and added the Project Issue Availability module which helps us know which of our team members should be assigned to which issues AND how many issues they should be assigned to.
  • Improved the submission process so that all logged in users can now submit issues directly instead of emailing! More on this below.
  • For logged-in users, the homepage of security.drupal.org shows a “dashboard” of issues that need attention. This makes it easier for security team members who have limited time to give to the team to find what they need now.
  • When a user is granted access to a private issue on security.drupal.org the site now subscribes them to notifications for that issue and sends them an automated email with instructions on what to do next.
  • All users were subscribed to notifications for issues they had access to, reducing manual effort in mailing people.
  • Updated documentation pages including updates to the team overview page, how to report an issue and what a project maintainer needs to know to work in our process.
  • Changed our process to start getting CVE identifier values for vulnerabilities in core security releases. This is a bit of additional coordination but is hopefully useful to system administrators and security researchers.

This work required not only coding, testing, and deployment but also new documentation to help project maintainers to use it. These and other improvements to our workflow mean that we spend more of our volunteer hours working on the most valuable areas instead of manual tasks that don’t use the security team members special skills.

New members and role changes

As often happens, the team welcomed new members in the last year and a half. These new members had expressed interest in Drupal for several years and shown themselves to be good communicators who can be trusted with the confidential information that the team must handle.

  • Michael Hess (mlhess) a faculty member at the University of Michigan who asks his students to review Drupal for security issues
  • Matt Kleve (vordude), a site-builder and developer for Lullabot
  • Forest Monsen (forestmonster), web infrastructure and security specialist for National Service Resources & Training
  • Chris Hales (chales), DevOps Manager, Lead Architect at Mediacurrent

During the year I (Greg Knaddison) took over as team lead from Heine Deelstra. Heine had been team lead for 5 years prior to that and stayed on the team as a member. Mori Sugimoto, Kieran Lal, and Matt Chapman continue in their roles as team coordinators.

I would like to re-iterate what I have already said to the team in private: Thank You! The job of the team keeps growing and growing and we are both working harder and smarter to keep up. If you encounter someone who is on the team I encourage you to thank them for their work. Security is often cited as a reason not to use Open Source software, so it’s important that we continue to have such a robust team working with effective processes so the Drupal project can continue to grow.

New Drupal 7 core co-maintainer: David Rothstein

I selected Angela “webchick” Byron as my co-maintainer for Drupal 7 back in DrupalCon Szeged in August 2008. Since then, together we shepherded efforts of 1,000 core contributors to create Drupal 7, got the release out the door in January of last year,…

Drupal.org Scheduled Downtime Monday, May 7, 5:00 PDT (May 8, 00:00 UTC)

Drupal.org and its sub-sites (api.drupal.org, groups.drupal.org, etc) will be going down for 20 minutes Monday, May 7, 5:00 PDT (May 8, 00:00 UTC). This maintenance window will be used to upgrade our single sign on system. Please follow the @drupal_inf…

Drupal 7.14 and Drupal 6.26 released

Update: Drupal 7.15 and Drupal 6.27 are now available.

Drupal 7.14 is now available, which contains bug fixes as well as fixes for security vulnerabilities from Drupal 7.13.

Drupal 6.26, which fixes known bugs (no security issues) is also available for download.

Upgrading your existing Drupal 7 and 6 sites is strongly recommended. There are no new features in these releases. For more information about the Drupal 7.x release series, consult the Drupal 7.0 release announcement, more information on the 6.x releases can be found in the Drupal 6.0 release announcement. Drupal 5 is no longer maintained, upgrading to Drupal 7 is recommended.

Security information

We have a security announcement mailing list, a history of all security advisories, and an RSS feed with the most recent security advisories. We strongly advise Drupal administrators to sign up for the list.

Drupal 7 and 6 include the built-in Update status module, which informs you about important updates to your modules and themes.

Bug reports

Both Drupal 7.x and 6.x branches are being maintained, so given enough bug fixes (not just bug reports) more maintenance releases will be made available, according to our monthly release cycle.

Changelog

Drupal 7.13 only includes fixes for security issues. Drupal 7.14 also includes bugfixes. The full list of changes between the 7.12 and 7.14 releases can be found by reading the 7.14 release notes. A complete list of all bug fixes in the stable 7.x branch can be found in the git commit log.

Drupal 6.26 only includes bugfixes.

Security vulnerabilities

Drupal 7.13 were released in response to the discovery of security vulnerabilities. Details can be found in the official security advisory:

To fix the security problems, please upgrade to Drupal 7.13.

What is included with each release?

Release explanation

We made two versions of Drupal 7 available, so you can choose to only include security fixes (Drupal 7.13) or security fixes and bugfixes (Drupal 7.14). You can choose your preferred version. We are trying to make it easier and quicker to roll out security updates by making security-only releases available as well as ones with bugfixes included. We hope this helps you roll out the fixes as soon as possible. Read more details in the handbook.

Known issues

- #1558548: Notice: Undefined index: default_image in image_field_prepare_view() – Upgrading from Drupal 7.x to Drupal 7.14 will yield a harmless but annoying PHP notice. Patch has been committed to 7.x-dev, and will be available in 7.15. A workaround in the meantime is visiting the field settings page and saving.
- #1541792: Enable dynamic allowed list values function with additional context – This issue introduced an more context to hook_options_list(). However, because Entity API was calling this hook directly it causes errors such as Warning: Missing argument 2 for taxonomy_options_list() in taxonomy_options_list() (line 1375 of modules/taxonomy/taxonomy.module).. Fixed in Entity API module at #1556192: Incorrect invocation of hook_options_list().
- #1171866: Enforced fetching of fields/columns in lowercase breaks third-party integration – This issue accidentally introduced an API change that affected both Migrate and Backup and Migrate modules. Solution for Migrate is to rename tables in scripts back to their proper names. Solution for Backup and Migrate is at #1576812: Could not complete the backup.
- #811542: Regression: Required radios throw illegal choice error when none selected
- #1571104: Can’t access non-node entities with EntityFieldQuery

DrupalCon Munich Accepting Session Submissions

The call for papers is still open for DrupalCon Munich — but only until May 11!  Trainings too! The DrupalCon content team is looking for sessions that cover pushing the boundaries of Drupal and its increasing use as a cross platform system. Help shape what is presented at DrupalCon with this year’s theme, “Open Up! Connecting systems and people.”

Any proposals for sessions should fit within one of the following tracks:

  • Coding and Development
  • Community
  • Design and Theming
  • Business and Strategy
  • Site building
  • DevOps

To learn more about each topic, view the Session Track page. Here you can find out the anticipated audience and the topic focus, as set forward by each track chair. Selected Sessions and Trainings will be announced May 29.

Curious to learn how sessions are selected at DrupalCon? Learn more about the session selection process.

Core conversations will open for submissions on May 29, read more about Core Conversations on our website.

We are also inviting all organizations with training experience to submit proposals for the Pre-Conference Trainings, to be held on Monday, 20th August 2012.

Open Up – submit your session before May 11!  We look forward to seeing you in Munich August 20-24. Join the Drupal community in Europe this summer and register now for early-bird pricing.

Google announces Summer of Code results for 2012 – Drupal gets 13 projects!!

We are thrilled to announce that Google will be sponsoring 13 Drupal projects for Summer of Code 2012. We would like to extend our sincere thanks to Google, who are investing over $72,000 in the Drupal project.
As always, we had many more projects tha…

Groups.Drupal.org Update: New maintainers and plans for Drupal 7

Back in 2009, Groups.Drupal.Org (GDO) went through a major transition including upgrading from Drupal 5 to Drupal 6, a redesign, and adding new maintainers. We are currently in the process of a similar transition. The site has already gone through a redesign, and as we make plans to transition to Drupal 7, we will also be moving to new maintainers for the next year.

Making it easier to contribute to GDO

Between the Drupal Association’s initiative to improve *.drupal.org, the community brainstorming on site improvements, and feature requests in the Groups.Drupal.Org issue queue, there is clearly a lot of interest in making improvements to GDO. However, for folks who want to roll up their sleeves and help by filing a patch, the path to replicating GDO for development purposes hasn’t always been clear. As a strategy for making it easier for anyone in the Drupal community to file a patch and streamlining maintenance efforts for the site, we have proposed that GDO will run the Commons distribution of Drupal for Drupal 7. Of course, this means that improvements made to GDO benefit sites powered by Drupal Commons and vice-versa, that generic improvements to Commons will benefit GDO.

New maintainers: Meet Ezra, Scott, and Justin

Ezra Gildesgame
Scott Reynen
Justin Toupin

Helping with this transition, Ezra Gildesgame (ezra-g), maintainer of Drupal Commons, is also now a maintainer of groups.drupal.org. Ezra is the technical lead for Drupal distributions at Acquia, has been contributing to Drupal for over 5 years, and also maintains the Conference Organizing Distribution (COD).

Our other new Groups.Drupal.Org maintainers are Scott Reynen (sreynen) and Justin Toupin (justin2pin) from Aten Design Group. Scott is Lead Developer at Aten and has been contributing to Drupal for over 5 years, including helping to organize the Denver group on GDO. Justin Toupin is CEO at Aten, and has been leading the organization’s involvement in Drupal since version 4.7.

Getting involved: How you can make GDO better

This process of upgrading Groups.Drupal.Org is an especially good time to get involved by joining a few different groups and queues:

Note that Ezra, Scott, and Justin have agreed to work on the site for at least a year. If you think you might want to take over in a year, the best way to do that is to get involved working on the site in these issue queues.

Thanks, Greg & Josh!

This is also a great opportunity to thank Greg Knaddison (greggles) and Josh Koenig for their help maintaining Groups.Drupal.Org over the past few years. Josh and Greg found they were too busy with other projects unrelated to community site building which made it harder to find time for GDO (Josh building Pantheon and Greg working with Acquia’s Profesional Services Security Group and the Drupal Security Team). Greg and Josh hope that transitioning to people who spend more of their lives working on community sites will help GDO be an even more valuable collaboration platform for our community.

/drupalgive initiative

Hi friends. I’m hoping that you’ll support another Drupal community initiative that I’ve recently dreamed up. All you have to do is add a /drupalgive page to your organization’s web site.
Two organizations have published already at http://www.acquia.c…

UX Team Q1 2012 update

Bojhan Somers and Roy Scholten are the Drupal UX Team leads.

We believe that Drupal 8 User Experience needs a lot of work to truly make all users of Drupal love what they are working with. We believe that by improving core, we improve the entire Drupal experience for everyone.

How are we doing this? By working with core initiatives, providing ideas, sketches, wireframes, detailed designs, and actively engaging in discussion. D7UX taught us a lot of hard lessons, we now know how to communicate our design rationale more clearly, maintain a UX vision throughout the maze of issues, and empower developers.

What are we working on? We are working on a few initiatives; mobile, blocks & layouts, multilingual and leading a lot of smaller efforts around improving our content authoring and site building experiences.

Drupal 8 design progress so far

Content creation

Our content creation experience is still far from being great, but we have been improving the content creation experience from all angles. We have received lots of feedback on our proposals, and iterated with the community on various parts of this experience.

We have now finalized most of our research activities and we want to start implementing a few of our major ideas. For this to happen, we need developers who want to improve this part of core.

There are two very actionable issues at #1510532: [META] Implement the new create content page design and #1510544: Allow to preview content in an actual live environment for you to help out on!

Blocks & Layouts

The blocks & layout initiative started by EclipseGC focuses on solving the messy experience of placing parts (blocks, views, panes) on the page. We believe this can be fundamentally better if we tackle it in core. This initiative will allow us to arrange and organize blocks into flexible layouts through a drag and drop interface. This initiative has many UX components, from finding the right blocks, to selecting the context, to creating mobile layouts.

We have done a lot of research the past few months to understand the space we are designing for. It’s incredibly complex, but will be a huge win if we can provide a great solution straight out of the box.

We will need help from everyone; developers, designers, user researchers, end users and business owners! Become part of the discussion in the Drupal 8 Blocks & Layouts everywhere initiative group.

UX team activities

ux_sprinting.jpg

UX team bi-weekly office hours

We started to hold bi-weekly UX “office hours” (next one will take place 16 April, 20:00 UTC, 4PM NYC, 4 AM Tuesday Singapore/Shanghai), where we will discuss recent activities of the team but also review contributed modules. This has resulted in modules such as Taxonomy Acces Control making major improvements.

UX team activity

The team has been busy in Q1 2012:

  • Becky Gessler, Garen Checkly and Jen Lampton conducted a usability study at the Google offices, resulting in a detailed findings report and Drupalcon Denver core conversation talk on how to solve it.
  • Lisa Rex, Dharmesh Mistry (dcmistry), Erik Stielstra (sutha), Alexander Ross (bleen18) have done a total of 22 interviews about how people use the module page.
  • Lewis Nyman has been working hard on designing Drupal’s mobile interface, resulting in interesting discussions around navigation, principles and actual implementation of ideas in the mobile issue queue.
  • Roy Scholten (yoroy) has presented on Core product: 3 is the magic number and organised several sprints around UX at Drupalcon. There was also a BoF.
  • Jared Ponchot has been contributing design proposals, to our effort to redesign the content creation page.
  • Kristjan Jansen (kika), Jeff Noyes (Noyz) and Kevin O’Leary (tkoleary), Michael Keara (UserAdvocate) have put out various ideas around media UX, creating UI standards for add/edit flows, optimizing the content listing and research for the Blocks & layout initiative.

We have also released our ideas around redesigning the module page, adding a project browser to core, adding search everywhere, draft revisions and much more in the usability issue queue!

We need your help!

We need volunteers:

  • Developers who can help us with the PHP, CSS or JS parts of these changes.
  • New and experienced UX designers to work on the new features that we want to introduce in Drupal 8.
  • A project manager who can help break down tasks, coordinate contributors, update blog posts and issues, and help the UX team & leads focus more on UX.

If you’re interested in becoming a contributor to the UX Team in one of the roles above, contact Bojhan Somers and/or Roy Scholten.

You can find us in in the usability group, contact us directly by e-mail (or drupal.org contact form), join us on IRC in #drupal-usability, or find us in person at Frontend United.

The cool stuff we’re working on

Still not sure? We we love a lot more help to pursue all these crazy ideas within the next 7 months:

Thanks!

- Bojhan and Roy

Attachment Size
ux_sprinting.jpg 55.93 KB

Documentation Team 1st Quarter 2012 Update

Hello from Jennifer, your friendly Drupal Documentation Team leader! It’s time for a quarterly update on what’s happening in the Documentation team.

First off, I just want to remind everyone that I’m still planning to step down as Documentation Team Leader at the end of 2012. If you’re interested in becoming the co-leader or assistant leader now, and taking over at the end of 2012 as the main team leader, see http://groups.drupal.org/node/203258 for more information. It would be good to find someone soon!

Events

  • The Documentation Team is currently holding weekly “Documentation Office Hours”—one-hour IRC meetings on Tuesday afternoon (North American time), open to anyone for questions and discussions about contributing to documentation. This schedule is likely to change soon; join the discussion about a new time for office hours.
  • The API documentation cleanup sprint from last quarter has continued into this quarter. The goal is to bring the Drupal 7 and 8 core API documentation much more in line with our documentation standards. To join in, visit the issue page.

Milestones and Accomplishments

  • Lots of content was updated on Drupal.org this quarter. Of particular note:
    • There used to be a “Community and Support” link in the top navigation of Drupal.org; now there are separate Community and Support links, and the Support page has been completely redone (a redesign of the Community page is also in the plans). Hopefully this will help people new to Drupal connect with the help they need to get started. Thanks to Lisa Rex, David Hernandez, and others for making this happen!
    • The Omega theme project organized a group to update the Omega section of the Community Documentation.
    • The Media module project organized a group to update the Media documentation.
    • An effort is underway to create a Mobile section in the documentation.
    • We started a New Contributor Tasks section on Drupal.org. This is a place where people new to contributing to Drupal can go to find meaningful and doable tasks to start with. If you have ideas for the section, there’s a page describing how to add to it (with templates), and a suggestions page too.
    • 712 different contributors made a total of 3976 revisions to documentation pages on Drupal.org. Wow! (I have a new statistics page that totals this up). Apologies if your project didn’t make it into the list above — there’s a lot going on and I can’t keep track of it all!
  • Neil Drumm and I (with the help of other patch contributors) are continuing to make updates to the software for http://api.drupal.org. This quarter, there were major improvements to the linking and references features of the site — check it out if you haven’t been there lately! If you would like to work on the API module, check out the issue queue (http://drupal.org/project/issues/api) or find jhodgdon in IRC to get oriented.
  • I was given permission to commit Drupal Core 7/8 documentation and coding standards patches in February, and to help out in case of “Core Is Broken!!” emergencies. Hopefully this will lessen the burden on Angie, Nat, and Dries, freeing them up to concentrate on bugs that improve the Drupal software functionality.

Docs Infrastructure

Last year, the Docs Team (or at least its leadership) got a bit discouraged about Documentation infrastructure improvements taking quite a while to get deployed to Drupal.org. But now there’s a new process for getting improvements deployed, and Neil Drumm is working on them with hours funded by the Drupal Association. So, I’d like to get us working on improvements to “docs infrastructure” (tools, navigation, etc. for Drupal documentation writers and users) again.

I started working on that this quarter, and several small things were deployed. That went well, so there are now more in progress. Two that we hope to get done soon are a Docs Team effort to have better navigation for Community Docs, and LoMo’s project to replace the Books page with a content type/View. Join in the discussion and/or help out!

And as a preview, this summer I would like to really get working on the “curated docs” we’ve been talking about for a year or more… Watch http://groups.drupal.org/documentation-team for updates!

Next Steps

If you’re interested in helping with Drupal documentation:

DrupalCon Munich is around the corner: call for papers and registration open

As announced on stage at DrupalCon Denver, we have just opened the Call for Papers for DrupalCon Munich 2012, as well as keynotes, call for trainings, scholarships, and registration. The Drupal Association and the Munich DrupalCon committee have been preparing for the next DrupalCon for months now. Things will move into high gear once DrupalCon Denver closes its doors, later this week.

Announcing …

Keynote speakers

DrupalCon Munich announces three keynotes by open source and industry visionaries, including Dries Buytaert – the founder of the Drupal project talking about the future of Drupal on Tuesday, August 21; Anke Domscheit-Berg, a renowned expert in open government and open data, speaking on Tuesday, August 22; and Fabien Potencier, CEO of SensioLabs and founder of the Symfony project speaking on Wednesday, August 23.

Call for papers

Your contribution is needed! Come to Munich and share your expertise with the most amazing open source community in the world. Submit your session ideas at http://munich2012.drupal.org/call-for-papers

Early Bird registration opens today!

Registration for DrupalCon Munich is now open. The special early-bird rate is €350 for the first 300 tickets, after that the price is €400 until June 15, and 475 until July 31. Late registration after this date until August 17 will be €525. On-site registration will be €575. The is a limited number of tickets available at a rate of €200 for students and non profit organisations (all prices inclusive of VAT). Register now at http://munich2012.drupal.org/register.

Call for trainings

The Drupal project needs more contributors, site builders, users, and developers. We’re looking to cover the gamut from beginner to highly advanced trainings. Trainers and training companies, submit your trainings now! http://munich2012.drupal.org

Scholarship applications are now open

Drupal is for everyone and everyone can enrich the project. If you would like to come to DrupalCon Munich but cannot afford the cost, a limited number of scholarships will be available. Submit your application at http://munich2012.drupal.org/community/scholarships

Keep up-to-date with all things Drupalcon Munich; follow @DrupalCon on Twitter.

– Florian Lorétan (floretan) and Karsten Frohwein (kars-t), co-chairs of DrupalCon Munich

The Google Summer of Code is Back for 2012!

Some of Drupal’s Summer of Code success stories include:

Angela ByronAngela Byron (webchick) the Drupal 7 co-maintainer, Director of Community Development at Acquia, a Google-O’Reilly Open Source Hall of Famer and a Drupal Association board member. She originally got her start in Drupal writing Quiz module for GSoC 2005. Sumit KatariaSumit Kataria, started as a GSoC student back in 2009 working on OAuth module, and now not only is one of the foremost experts in the Drupal community on mobile (look for his mobile apps for DrupalCon Denver in an app store near you!), but co-manages Drupal’s involvement in GSoC. He works as a Drupal consultant with companies like CivicActions and Lullabot.
Bojan ZivanovicBojan Zivanovic (bojanz) became a preeminent contributor to views and contributed to EntityFieldQuery for Drupal 7. Gábor HojtsyGábor Hojtsy, the co-maintainer of Drupal 6, and the Initiative Lead for the Drupal 8 Multilingual Initiative worked over GSoC in 2006 to get i18n in Drupal core in Drupal 6. He is now an engineer for Acquia.
Jimmy BerryJimmy Berry (boombatower) was instrumental in the development of Drupal’s automated testing framework, and he and his father Jim Berry (solotandem) were the first Google Summer of Code father/son team! :) They both offer testing-related services at http://boombatower.com. Lin ClarkLin Clark (linclark) created SPARQL Views, making it possible to query SPARQL endpoints from Views, as part of GSoC 2010. Her demonstrations of Linked Data capabilities in Drupal have been published on IBM Developer Works. She is now an independent consultant working data publishing and consumption using Drupal.

So if you’re:

  • a post-secondary student looking for an exciting project with a thriving development community and tons of smart people you can work with
  • an existing Drupal contributor who happens to be attending college/university and would love a chance to get paid over the summer to work on the “Next Big Drupal Thing”
  • a seasoned Drupal developer with some time over the summer, who’d truly enjoy mentoring and helping the next generation of contributors make Drupal the best that it can be
  • a Drupal community member who might not have the time or coding experience to mentor, but knows where to find resources and enjoys helping others find them.
  • someone with a great project idea for an improvement in Drupal that would be perfect for a student to work on over the summer
  • a Drupal evangelist who wants to help grow the community by actively engaging students

…then there’s something for you in Summer of Code! Read on to find out more.

Prospective Students

If you have enthusiasm the drive to work on something great, now is the time for you to get started! Subscribe to the Google Summer of Code group, look over the developer’s guide and API reference, stop by Core Office hours and take on some new contributor tasks, find a Drupal event near you to get to know Drupal’s amazing community, and take on a few bite-sized tasks in the Novice Issue Queue.

Most importantly, start thinking about your project proposal! Prior to submitting your application, stop by #drupal on irc.freenode.net or post your project ideas to the Summer of Code 2012 group to get community feedback. Your chances of getting into Summer of Code increase if the community has the opportunity to review your ideas and offer feedback to help you in improving your project idea.

We have already started accepting applications. For more tips, students should check out the Student Template Page.

Mentors

Please sign up to be a mentor if you have either experience with Drupal development or expertise in a particular area of interest (for example, newspapers, education…) and have some free time from now until the end of August.

To become a mentor,  join the Drupal SoC-2012 group and the sign up on Google’s SoC mentor web app (now known as Melange). Please describe who you are, what your level of Drupal experience is, and your motivation for being a mentor. Your application will be reviewed by SoC admins (Chx, SumitK).

You can go through Advice for mentors page to find more tips on mentoring students.

The more mentors we have, the more students we can get in, and the more exciting projects of varying types we can accept.

Community members

Great project ideas are vital to attracting both great students and great mentors. If you’ve ever thought “if Drupal could be…”, now is the time to turn it into a project idea. The project should be feasible for a Drupal-novice developer student to achieve in a 3-month time frame. Suggest a SoC project idea in the SoC 2012 group or help elaborating already proposed ideas

In addition, you can help review the existing SoC project ideas by providing students and other community members with feedback. Community members are in the best position to help students understand the finer intricacies of existing modules, and help their energies to meet the the priorities of the Drupal project.

To help the new Drupal family members, we need some existing community members to be active in #drupal-contribute on irc.freenode.net to answer student questions, point them to the correct resources, and people with expertise.

If you think this sounds like fun, be sure to get on to IRC!

Distribution packaging now fully supported on Drupal.org

Distributions provide one of the biggest opportunities for both the Drupal project and its ecosystem. Although there has been support for distribution packaging on Drupal.org since December 2009, there were many restrictions on what could be packaged f…